PDA

View Full Version : Anything negative about Britax RA? What about Century?

Tsevens
09-19-2000, 05:36 PM
It's been time for my 5-mo-old to transfer to a convertible car seat, and I've been spending lots of energy doing all the research. Basically, I've narrowed the choices to the Britax RA and one of the Century seats...Bravo, Encore, or Accel. Everything that I have read says that Britax is definitely the way to go. But, I want to also hear of negatives, if there are any. My husband is in MAJOR sticker shock over the Britax price, and I need to be able to convince him that it's better than any other, if that's true. I haven't seen a good deal on the RA on any of the web sites, either. Also, does anyone have any comments about the above mentioned Century seats? The only thing I've heard so far is that it might be hard to adjust the straps in the rear-facing position. Thanks a bunch for your input!

balessingo
10-05-2000, 10:09 AM
Hi, we have the RA and have found nothing to complain about. That's pretty rare with a car seat! I feel that our daughter (5 mos) is safer in it than in anything else we could have bought- the tether makes ALL the difference. I have a 98 Ford Explorer, and that carseat is in the car so tight that if I try to budge it, the whole vehicle moves. The cheapest I've seen it on the net is at www.thebabywarehouse.com- for $189 with free shipping. Once your husband sees what a safe, high-quality product it is, I can't imagine that he would want to put your child into any other carseat. Hope this website helps!

nanner
12-02-2000, 04:33 PM
I too have the Roundabout and the forward only facing one too (after my daughter had turned 1) and love them both. They are roomy, sturdy, great straps that never ever twist and you feel your child is very safe in this 5 point. The company is great too. We went on vacation and I took our car seat with us for the plane and rental car and found with the tether strap it made this car seat so tight that I could install it myself! Well worth the money!!!!

Geebee
12-03-2000, 11:07 PM
Just an FYI: I bought the Accel 5 point, and it has a tether strap and a chest clip (features usually only on higher end car seats). I can't tell you much more about the Accel because I haven't installed it yet (I'm working on it).

I did some research, and some of the higher end car seats can be too bulky for some cars. For example, I read a comment that the Century SmartMove couldn't rotate correctly in some vehicles.

Check out eopinions.com (great site for so many products) and look for the negative comments (less stars) since you know the products that you are considering.