PDA

View Full Version : Avanta vs smartfit plus vs Graco Snugride DX5...

kfong
09-29-2000, 01:26 PM
Hi I was just trying to register for an infant seat and have ready the info on baby bargains.

the Century Avanta definitely looked like the Safest seat, lots of adjustments, 5 pt system and the clip together chest attachment. I also like the color/fabric available the best. The only thing is it's definitely heavier than the Graco Snugride DX5. It was heavy even empty.

the Smart fit plus seemed lighter and adjusts to get level in the car but has 3 pt system.

does anyone have experience with these seats? Good and bad points? do you really end up taking the whole seat and baby out of car each time (therefore lightness would be a major benefit)

I guess the othe issue would be that we bought a 2001 Odyssey with the lower anchor system but the infants seats don't have them yet. should we just get the least expensive of the 3 (smartfit plus) and assume we'll buy another seat for baby # 2 when they come out with the LATCH system on all seats?

thanks in advance,

karen

balessingo
10-05-2000, 04:31 AM
Karen, we used the Century Smart Fit Plus with the 5 point restraint and were generally happy with it. It was heavy (I'm pretty small, 5'1 and 105 lbs) to carry around with the baby in it, so when our daughter turned 3.5 months we started using her Britax Roundabout. I don't have experience with the Advanta, but I do know that a friend of mine who is a paramedic said he wouldn't buy a 3 point harness in either an infant OR convertible seat. Good Luck!