PDA

View Full Version : 3 pt vs 5 pt for infant seats?

mkkrum
10-28-2000, 07:43 AM
With D-Day only a month away, we are making final decisions on a car seat purchase. What's the going opinion on 3 pt vs 5 pt harnesses in infant seats?

We are looking at the Century SmartFit Plus models.

I have read (in customer reviews of the CSFP) some babies push the chest clip on the 3 pt down to their crotch--effectively negating its whole purpose, right? I have also read what a pain the 5 pt harness can be to work with when you are strapping in an infant.

On an editorial note: Who is the cheezehead responsible for picking the Century fabric selections?? The baby may not care how nauseating the fabric is, but as the parents, we have to look at it a LOT. Century has probably the WORST fabric selection of all the infant seat manufacturers. Just my observation.

Thanks for your input on the harness debate!

alandenisefields
10-30-2000, 04:11 PM
I think the 3 point is fine; the 5 point doesn't offer any additional safety aspect, in our opinion!

Good point the fabrics! What can we say? Century isn't exactly on the cutting edge of fashion.

Alan & Denise Fields, Authors
BABY BARGAINS

Geebee
12-03-2000, 11:17 PM
I have a Century Smart Fit Plus, and I can barely move that chest clip up and down (I never unclip it, but I just slide it up and down). My daughter is 9 months old (and about to move to an infant/toddler car seat), and she has never moved the chest clip.

Also, the adjustable base that comes with the CSFP is GREAT. It allows you to recline your newborn properly (more important with a newborn than with an infant who can hold up his/her head).