PDA

View Full Version : Graco 5pt straps too short

Chevalier
12-06-2000, 01:00 PM
We recently dicovered a problem with our Graco infant carseat 5 point straps, and was wondering if anyone else has this problem- Our 2 1/2 month, 11 lb. daughter could not fit in her carseat with a jacket on. We now have to dress her in a thin layer in order to strap her in, then put a blanket over top. I have no idea why the straps were made so incredibly short that she will outgrow the straps before she's anywhere close to the maximum weight or height.

alandenisefields
12-07-2000, 07:56 PM
We have heard this as well from a few other readers---it seems to be a flaw with the seat. I think your solution is right---just use a blanket. We'll ask Graco if they are planning to fix this. We can understand your frustration.

Alan & Denise Fields, Authors
BABY BARGAINS
Email: [email protected]. Web: www.windsorpeak.com. Phone: 303-442-8792
Address: Windsor Peak Press, 436 Pine Street, Boulder, CO 80302

MareRI
12-08-2000, 05:30 PM
i have the same problem. I called Graco and they are sending me
at no charge, an extender for the harness belt. I would recommend calling them with your model number and they will send this out.

jwright98
12-27-2000, 08:43 PM
YES!! I have the exact same problem. I also couldn't fit her in with her snowsuit. I especailly could not adjust the harness straps to the top position because it made the straps even shorter! At 3 months, she technically outgrew the thing. I called Graco and they asked me what was her weight and length. She was 15 lbs and 26" at 4 mos. I thought she at least had 5 more lbs to go. Noooo, Graco says that she can no longer use the seat because she is over the 26" length limit (read the fine print in your manual). I think this is a design defect. They did send me extension straps, which I have used for about a month, now they are too short. She is 27" now, and I just bought a new seat. She is not quite 6 mos yet, and there is no way she can fit in the seat anymore. I was very disappointed by this. I paid $200 for the "top of the line" travel system with the nice fabric and 5 pt harness. What a waste! I wish I had the 3 pt harness at least. Live and learn.

One thing that helped for awhile until the temp go too cold is one of those "covers" that fit over the seat and zip up, leaving a hole for the baby's head to peek out.

Speaking of Graco, I shopped around for one of those exersaucers, and bought the Graco one since it is good for a baby up to 32" (vs Evenflo which is good for 30"). She is 27+" now. Why is she on the last slot!!!??!!! I called Graco and went off. They said she may still be able to use it for another 5 inches. Like she is going to grow 5" in her torso only and not her legs.

Chevalier
02-21-2001, 02:43 AM
Thanks so much for this info. Graco sent the strap extenders, and we were able to use the seat for 2 more months. It was so convenient to take baby shopping and not have to wake her! I wish we could use it longer, but DD is now past the 26" limit.

MarchMom01
03-02-2001, 12:34 PM
By the way, the new Graco DX5 (5 pt harness) that I bought yesterday came with extension straps. Looks like Graco recognized this problem and is including them with the new shipments! Thanks Graco!

Geebee
03-23-2001, 10:39 PM
I just thought that I would add some more info.

I had a police officer inspect my car seat. He stated that the straps are made to give 2 inches, and with a thick jacket, they may give too much and allow the baby to slip out in the event of an accident. He recommended that the baby be dressed in thin layers with blankets on top.

This isn't as much of a problem for me because I live in Dallas where it doesn't get that cold.

Although it does seem a little ridiculous that the car seat couldn't accommodate a 2 1/2 month old, 11 pound child with a jacket.

MareRI
03-26-2001, 01:53 AM
An addition to my earlier post regarding the extension straps. Graco recently sent out a mailer to all customers who registered their carriers, informing them of the straps and offering to send them free of charge. All you have to do is mail back the form or call. Good Luck!