PDA

View Full Version : britax roundabout question

csjack
01-03-2001, 09:21 PM
I am interested in the RA, and I am unable to see one in person where I live, so could anyone who is familiar with britax RA tell me what you did for infant carrier early after birth. In photos, it appears that the RA does not have a carry handle to go to shopping carts, etc. Did this pose a problem or am I missing something by not seeing the product in person.

thanks!

laclark
01-05-2001, 11:39 AM
The Britax Roundabout is convertible seat that can be used from 5-30lbs rearfacing and forward facing once your child reaches both one year AND 20lbs (very important not to foward face before this point). However many people prefer to use an infant car seat for the first few months. Convertibles don't have carry handles or stay in car bases. They are too heavy/cumbersome to be used as carriers. Infant seats are designed to be used as carriers and many also have stay in car bases so that you don't have to reinstall the seat each time you just leave the base installed and take the seat part in and out.

Most infant seats are for babies until they are about 20-22bls and/or there head is less than one inch from the top of the hard shell of the seat. Infant seats are rear facing ONLY.

For more information visit the car seat board at parentsplace.com. May posters there are trained car seat technicians and will be able to give you lots of information. The link is http://boards2.parentsplace.com/messages/get/ppcarseats182.html

Good luck,

Laurie-Mom to Lia Grace (4/26/00)

joodyjr
01-16-2001, 08:35 PM
I used the Century Smart Fit carrier (part of the stroller travel system)when I had my son. Now that he is getting too big for that I have recently installed the Roundabout. Here's my opinion, I was glad to have the convenience of the carrier, it was nice in the store just picking up and go, and putting it right in the cart. HOWEVER, now that I have the Roundabout installed, (which by the way when I rock the car seat, the whole car rocks, that thing is in there!!) I absolutely love this Roundabout! I am quite surprised at the difference. If I had of known then, I would have started him in the roundabout right from the get go! I feel much better knowing he's secured safely in the roundabout. The carrier was never as tightly installed as the roundabout. And I read, read and re-read the installation instructions of the carrier and my vehicle owner manual. Since my carrier is part of a travel system, I probably would have had it anyway and just taken it along and put him in it for the shopping. That is what I still intend to do for awhile longer.
Personally, the next baby will skip the carrier when traveling and go right into the Roundabout, (I plan on buying another so I have one for each kid!)Also: I put the Alpha Omega in my husbands car. I am just as pleased with it. Since we do not use my husbands truck for family travel that much, I didn't feel the price of another roundabout was necessary at this time.

csjack
01-16-2001, 09:18 PM
thank you for the great info....would love to start with the roundabout, just nervous about how I will handle shopping etc...oh yeah did I throw in I have twins on the way!

joodyjr
01-18-2001, 04:56 PM
oh my, didn't realize you were expecting twins, congratulations, but forget about worrying w/which type of car seat and just hire a babysitter when you need to shop!!! ha ha ha

Marimar
01-19-2001, 04:08 AM
I wonder if a sling or carrier could be an option for you? Certainly worth considering...otherwise, I second the babysitter idead!

Congratulations!

Marimar