PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Car Seat Standards VS. US Standards

Mammaluna
01-24-2001, 07:13 PM
I am an American currently residing in Canada and am confused about car seat safety standards. My soon to be 4 month old is 17lbs and according to the Canadian Automobile Association(which states they have stricter standards than the US) a child weighing more than 20lbs(NOT 20lbs. and 1year) must be turned forward facing with a tether strap. I've always had my sons rear facing(in the US) until they were 1. I am sure my little one will be 20lbs before he is 6 months old and I feel uncomfortable switching him to forward facing so soon. I've never read anywhere that it is safer to turn an infant forward facing once they weigh 20lbs and I would like some more information regarding this.
Any comments would greatly be appreciated.

alandenisefields
01-25-2001, 01:17 PM
Thanks for using our message boards.

Your question is a good one. There is no rule or regulation in the US requiring infants to be rear facing until year 1. The legal requirement is to have a child under 20 pounds rear facing in an approved child safety seat. The American Academy of Pediatrics, however, has stated that children should remain rear facing until age 1 regardless of weight for developmental reasons. So, while we as well as US government agencies encourage the one year and 20 lb. idea, it is not legally binding.

In Canada, you must comply with their laws. We'd recommend checking out Transport Canada's web site at www.tc.gc.ca/ for the official line on car seats.

Best wishes,

alan and denise fields
authors, BABY BARGAINS