PDA

View Full Version : Ok- did I mess up??? Does anyone know anything about the Medallion V leather car seat from Evenflo?

csequine
02-01-2001, 08:04 PM
Hi

I just bought the Baby Bargains Book last night and have found it very helpful. Just overwhelmed ! We had already purchased the Medallion V leather carseat from Evenflo. After reading the carseat section in the book I am wondering if I should take it back and get the Britax runabout. I have to admit the vain part of me really LOVES the leather and it matches my Durango so nicely! Sounds very petty I know!! Just wondering if anyone has any experience/opinion on this. I know it hasn't been on the market too long!
Thanks in advance
Jill

lexi'smommy
02-18-2001, 01:12 AM
Hi

We got a Britax Roundabout for Christmas -- we were so excited because after reading reviews in Baby Bargains and several other sources, we felt that we were getting the safest car seat on the market. It works quite well in my husband's Suburban, but im my Toyota Forerunner, it's a different story. My back seat slopes slightly toward the back, and even in the reclined position, my baby's head falls forward if she tries to sleep (my baby is 7 1/2 months old & quite large for her age -- 20 lbs and 28 inches at her 6 month check-up). We were looking for a new car seat today & are seriously considering the one you bought -- the padding was thicker than our Britax & in a side-by-side comparison, it seemed to recline further than the Britax. We're not quite sure what to do yet either & would love to get more feedback about this particular Evenflo model. I hope you find the info on the Britax useful. Please let us know if you hear anything either way about the Medallion. THANKS. Karine

laclark
02-20-2001, 04:22 PM
IMHO the Evenflo Medallion is not a good seat for the money, especially the one in leather. If you are going to spend that much you will get a better seat with the Britax RA.

Here are the reasons why. 1) The Evenflo Medallion has lower top slots than the Britax RA. That is important because when using a forward facing seat you must use the slots ABOVE the child's shoulders, usually the tops ones (check your owner's manual) because they are the only ones that are reinforced to take the crash force. Because the Medallion's slots are lower that means your child may grow out of this seat sooner than others, esp the RA. 2) The Medallion does not have built in locking clips like the RA-built in ones are much easier to use. 3) The Medallion does not have a rear facing tether which can help reduce head movement in an injury by 4-8 inches, the Britax does (it's one of very few seats sold in the U.S. that does. 4) The Medallion may look cushier, but the padding is just regular foam, the Britax has Energy Absorbing Foam which is the same stuff used in Bicycle Helmets. This can help reduce head injuries (esp in side impact crashes) and the U.S. is looking at perhaps changing U.S. car seat standards to require this in U.S. car seats in the next few years.

I can see why some people may not want to spend the $200 on a Britax seat because they cannot afford it, but if you have the money the RA is definitely a better seat for the price.

If you want more information check the car seat board at parentsplace.com. There are many people who post there who are certified passenger safety technicians. You may also e-mail me at [email protected].

*note* When using a rear facing seat the harness must be in the slots at or below the child's shoulders.

Laurie

laclark
02-20-2001, 04:25 PM
You may want to consider using pool noodles to get the RA to recline more. I had this problem and used pool noodles to get the proper recline. We then went to a car seat check and we had it installed perfectly which is very rare.

See my other post regarding the padding in the two seats.

Laurie

laclark
02-20-2001, 04:30 PM
Oh one more thing. I volunteered at a car seat check this weekend for the first time and got to get first hand experience with other seats.

I must say that the harness adjustor on my daughter's RA is SO much easier to use than the ones I used this weekend. It works so much smoother and the straps don't twist at all. After spending 10-15 minutes working on untwisting a little boy's harness I was very thankful for the non-twisty straps on the RA.

Laurie