PDA

View Full Version : tether/anchors on older cars

frogpace
02-06-2001, 01:29 AM
I have a 91 toyota corolla and husband has a 92 mazda protege. We have been told that there is no way to retrofit our cars to use the tether/anchor systems available with car seats. This is of great concern to me since I read that car seat safety dramatically improves when using the extra restraints. Does anyone know cases where cars this old have been retrofitted? How would I go about doing it? (dealers here are clueless).

Thank you,

Heather

edawg
02-23-2001, 03:03 PM
I have a 1992 BMW sedan (this is the newest car we own) that didn't have the anchor bolts for the tether straps installed, but the owner's manual had a section on them with a statement to have the dealer install them if they were needed. Sounds simple, no? Thus the saga began.I took my car to the dealership, was able to order the parts eventually (that in itself took some time and several trips, as no one knew quite what they were...even with me and my manual to tell them), and then tried to schedule an installation. No way, lady, was the response. The dealership (which is a really good one, otherwise, I must tell you--and I'm not big on dealerships as a rule)refused to install a "genuine" BMW part--ordered by them--into my BMW on advice of their lawyers, due to "liability issues." I spoke to the manager of the service dept. and gently suggested that liability can cut more than one way, and that if my child was injured in his Britax Roundabout, and I had been compelled to have an unauthorized party install my tether anchor bolts--a safety feature, no less--due to a refusal on the part of the dealership, that liability might not be on his side.... Eventually (imagine that!), the dealership did install my tether anchors and I am very pleased with the job they did and the way the Roundabout fits in the car so securely. However, it was a royal pain and ended up costing me a nice chunk of change. On the other hand, my sister-in-law, who has an older Toyota Camry, was told that there would be no charge (and no trouble) to install anchor bolts in her car for a Roundabout. So, it can be done. Just how civilly is another matter! A piece of advice I read--I believe in Baby Bargains, in fact--in the tortuous process which may be helpful to you if your car manual and/or dealer doesn't have the part number for tether anchor bolts: As tethers are (apparently) required by law in Canada, you can get the part number from a Canadian dealer (and probably order the parts, I would guess). You could probably also get specs on installation to give to your dealer or to a reputable body shop/mechanic. Best of luck.

frogpace
02-24-2001, 12:02 AM
Thank you very much for your help. The Mazda dealership finally told us that they could install the tether anchor for $100.00 (parts and labor). That sounds like a lot to me, but I know its worth it. We are still working on the toyota.
Thanks again,

Heather

laclark
02-27-2001, 02:59 PM
Also if your dealership doesn't know the part number or have the instructions to install it you should contact the SafeKids organization in your area. I volunteered at a SafeKids check and the leader showed me how he has a list of all the tether anchor part numbers for each car plus the service manual instructions for different cars.

frogpace
02-27-2001, 11:30 PM
Thanks to everyone for all the help. I decided to contact the national Toyota customer service department. They told me that a new part had just been issued within the last few weeks that will make it possible to use a tether with my car!! I am still waiting to see how much it will cost, but just the fact that they have it now is a major relief.

Heather