PDA

View Full Version : Tether Straps and affixing to your car questions

Grace
02-12-2001, 06:40 PM
Has anyone done this? How difficult is it to rearrange the car seat once the tether is in place? Also, the tether is only to be used in the forward facing position, correct? I am about to purchase a Costco Alpha Omega and it comes with a tether strap. I purchased the part (a bolt looking thing) from my dealership's parts department ($3). They told me it would take about an hour and cost one hour's worth of labor at $80.

I thought I read somewhere this is done free at dealerships?

It's definately worth the $80 but I want to see if any of you know about it being done for free?

Thanks for any info.

alexsharp
02-14-2001, 01:49 PM
I have heard that tether straps can be used for rear facing too. I am not 100% on that - but I recall being able to attach the strap to the bar under the front seat or front seat belt mechanism. You can check with your local fire station and even your car dealership may know.
As far as installing the attachment - that must depend on the car manufacturer. We have a Jeep and we took it in last night for some work and I asked if they could install the attachment and they said that was something that they thought was 'on the house' and they would call if it was going to cost me anything. I don't think it was a dealership thing but Jeep is footing the cost on that. My 2001 Subaru came with the part already installed so we don't have to worry about that car.
You may want to contact the car manufacturer to find out if they will foot the bill. I think $80 is a ridiculous fee - but your baby's safety is priceless.