PDA

View Full Version : Graco Snug Ride DX5

future_mommie
02-20-2001, 02:00 PM
Two things about this infant seat.

1. I am concerned because they say it will not lock into a grocery cart. How much of a hazard is that? Any solutions? Or, any suggestions for a better seat? Also, does this mean it (the Graco) won't be safe in a Peg Perego Venezia with a bar attachment for an infant seat?

2. I have read that infants seem to outgrow the Graco very quickly. Any input/recommendations?

I have also considered the Century Smart Fit Plus, but it seems so bulky. I tried it on a shopping cart at Babies R Us and couldn't get it to unlatch!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Heather EDD 6/15/01

aunt83me02
02-20-2001, 07:58 PM
I recently read on the American Academy of Pediatrics website that you should never put your child, whether in a carseat or not, in the front of a shopping cart. It makes it top heavy and many children have been injured from the shopping cart falling over. I think one should be careful when mixing different brand carseats with different brand strollers. The manufacturers of the carseats do not recommend this(although it's probably because they want you to buy their expensive travel system!). I'm not sure how the carseat would fit on the Venezia, just remember to weigh the costs(literally and figuratively).

joodyjr
02-20-2001, 10:21 PM
I would recommend that you purchase a car seat for it's safety features in the car not the grocery store. Regarding it's latchability (actual word?) unless your newborn is a gymnast in training and/or you're going to be pushing the cart down a cobblestone road, you should be okay provided you don't stray too far from the cart, but then again, why would you.
I purchased the Century over the Graco because the Century did appear larger and since I was expecting a big baby, I figured that would be a better bet. It did seem a bit more cumbersome, but minor sacrifice in my opinion. I also liked the travel system better.
I took the advice of Baby Bargains and chose the Century.
Century products are also rated fairly well in Consumer reports as well. BUT, I ended up going into the Britax Roundabout at 3 months and glad I did when I saw how it was secured much more tightly in the car. I keep the carrier in the trunk since he can't sit up real well just yet, for grocery store, etc.
And in regards to the previous message, if you're not going to be doing a major shopping trip, put the carrier IN the cart, if you're concerned about tipping, (which I have not seen as a problem even with my "chunky monkey" baby boy!!)

jilldana
03-23-2001, 02:28 PM
Heather --

I was in your position last year. I examined the Century and the Graco models as you have. I chose the Grace Snug Ride DX5 because it was rated well and it was lighter/less bulky. My husband and I are relatively small people and having a more portable, yet very safe, seat was important to me. My daughter is 11 months now and will be moving into the larger seat next month. So we didn't have problems with her outgrowing it early. We have not had problems at the grocery store either -- you just have to make sure it is secure on the cart. We have had to try more that one cart at times -- and the smaller carts work much better. We also have put the carrier into the basket of the cart frequently. As for using the seat with another company's stroller -- have you tried it at the store?? Consulting both manufacturers would probably be a good idea.

Good luck!! Jill

Lucy
04-09-2001, 11:49 AM
We love our DX5. We do use it in shopping carts and, although it doesn't lock into place, it is secure enough for us to feel comfortable to walk around with it. No sign of our son outgrowing his yet and he was 9, 11 at birth.