PDA

View Full Version : Help! Century SmartFit Plus and 97 Toyota Corolla

MarchMom01
02-24-2001, 11:17 PM
We received a Century SmartFit Plus (not the 22V) for a baby shower gift and tried to install it in our 97 Corolla. Well, we tried to install it as best we can and the seat can move from side to side more than an inch!! I mean it doesn't feel safe to me! (It's not rock-solid-unbudgable!!!) Are we doing something wrong? My friend has a Graco infant seat (the one that comes with the travel system) and hers fits snugly in her 95 Corolla. Does anyone know if the century SFP is incompatible with the Corolla? I compared the 'budgability' of the the SFP and the Britax RA and yikes, the SFP seemed unsafe compared to the unmovable Britax RA!!

Anyone has the same problem, or has installed the SFP successfully on a Corolla? Now I'm considering getting the Snugride!! Or should I just go straight for the Britax RA instead? (baby due in 3 weeks).

Any advice is appreciated!

joodyjr
02-25-2001, 03:05 PM
I had the exact same problem with my 2000 Nissan using the Century Smartfit. I now have the Roundabout and shaking that, shakes the whole car!!! I would recommend looking for another seat whether it be the Graco or the Roundabout. If you go with the Roundabout definitely try to install it with the tether secured under the front seats.. It didn't seem real secure with the tether secured to the hardware on the back of the backseat in the rear facing position.

MarchMom01
03-02-2001, 12:31 PM
Well, I returned the SFP and got a Graco SnugRide Dx5 instead, and the wow what a difference!! The DX5's installation was very easy and very tight. The seat is also slightly more compact so it's easier to take it in and out of the car. The release mechanism on the seat (to get off the base) is also much easier, and the handle is more comfortable to carry, plus the handle release buttons are in a better location. The Graco seat's features seem more 'intuitive' than the Century SFP! I'm glad I got it!! (It also fits in the Combi 6600!) The only thing is, the seat does not lock into grocery carts but when I tried the lock feature on the SFP it was a HUGE PAIN to unlatch it! And that was without the baby in it!

Well, that's my quick update. Thanks for listening! :-)