PDA

View Full Version : VW-lap belt only-Britax RA vs FP SE II

nielsen
03-01-2001, 12:29 PM
Help, we are expecting a baby in May. We have a 99VW Golf and a 90VW van. The 99 has ISOFIX and we would like to take advantage of this with a FP SE II. But, our 90 van only has lap belts in the back bench seat. I have contacted VW about retrofitting either a tether bolt or a shoulder belt. No answer yet. My question is, if we can only get a tether bolt installed, would using a lap belt and tether strap be sufficient? If so, I think the RA is the only seat with a tether strap for rear-facing. Any help would be appreciated. Brenda

alandenisefields
03-01-2001, 01:14 PM
Yes, I think using that seat with a lap belt and tether should be sufficient.

Alan & Denise
authors

JakesMom
04-06-2001, 12:19 AM
>Yes, I think using that seat
>with a lap belt and
>tether should be sufficient.
>
>Alan & Denise
>authors

Hi Alan, Denise & community members,

That's exactly what the representative from Fisher-Price told me when I spoke with them this week. I was involved in a car accident last week, where another driver ran a red light and smashed into the rear of my car as I was completing a left turn.

My Fisher Price Safe Embrace car seat (the blue & grey model, purchased mid-2000) was buckled forward-facing in the center of the back seat, using the lap belt. Luckily, my son was not with me, because from the force of the crash, the lap belt loosened, and the car seat pitched head-forward.

When I saw this, I nearly fainted, especially since I almost brought my son with me on the errand I was running. FP says the lap belt should definitely be sufficient, but you should bear in mind that this is only if all of your seat belts are correctly installed and operational.

Needless to say, when we replace the now-totaled car with a new one and buy a new car seat (can't use the old one since the car was crashed), we're having it installed and then checked by one of the state police centers.

Not to be paranoid, but I have a friend who says you always get a free one -- and then you have to listen to what G-d or whoever you might believe in is trying to tell you! If I'm ever in an accident with my boy in the car (heaven forbid), I want to make sure we've taken every precaution to ensure his safety. (I'm sure everyone here feels the same way!

Best to all,
Jake's Mom
Chicago, IL

joesmommy926
04-09-2001, 03:22 PM
Are you sure that your 99 VW has ISOFIX?

I have a 99 Passat sedan and I thought I had ISOFIX, bought the FPSEII and couldn't find the anchors - because they weren't there!

The ISOFIX anchors are NOT stnadard on the Passat and I would have to pay over $200 to get them installed in both seats.

Just check to make sure you have them. I wish I did.

emilyadam
04-30-2001, 09:55 PM
ISOFIX is standard on all VW except Passat. Check around with other dealers, but mine offered to install ISOFIX in the Passat for no charge.