PDA

View Full Version : My 2 year old can unbuckle his Britax RA!

lgeller
03-05-2001, 10:33 AM
This is just a warning to other toddler parents out there. Recently, my very mechanically inclined 2.5 year old figured out how to pop the buckle on his Britax Roundabout carseat.

We have loved the RA since he was born, but I am now unnerved at how he regularly unbuckles himself while I am driving on the highway (i.e. unable to stop). I have tried to explain to him that I don't want him to get hurt, and he may only push the red button when we get home, but he thinks it is a great game. I also try distraction methods (snacks, music, talking to him), but eventually his attention returns to the irrisistable red button. It only takes him a second to pop it open.

I called Britax customer service, and they told me it was an "education issue" with my child. They said that the force required to pop the buckle was mandated by the government, that it was 9 pounds of force, and that some children can do it. I mentioned that the required force was not the issue - if they put the button on the front or bottom of the buckle, then the child would not be able to get the necessary leverage from a seated position. She suggested I "write a letter" with my idea. I also asked if there was some sort of plastic cover that could go over the button, but she said no (it would be a potential liability in an accident, if you couldn't get the cover off).

So - end result? I will continue to be a nervous wreck when I drive alone with my son, and pray that he doesn't figure out how to open the chest clip (with this kid, it is only a matter of time). Meanwhile, I will start shopping around for a different seat with the buckle button in a different position, and pass the Britax to my impending arrival (due in July).

--Lisa Geller

alandenisefields
03-05-2001, 06:09 PM
Hi Lisa. Well, as the parent of a toddler who once opened up his Britax Roundabout as we were driving, I can understand your frustration. I do see your point about the design issue of that red latch---it is a temptation.

That said, in the end, I think Britax may be right. A 2 1/2 year old must learn that he has to stay in his seat and NOT unbuckle the car seat. Every car seat has a shiny red button that can be opened by most 2 or 3 year olds---perhaps the Britax is a bit too attractive in the latch design, but in the end if any child wants out of their car seat, they can probably do it .

To be honest, in the rare cases that our child unbuckles their seat, we STOP the car (or pull over if you can safely), get out and refuse to go until the child is back in their seat and ready to be buckled in. This works quite effectively, especially when the destination is somewhere were the child wants to go (ie, a park, etc.).

If there are any other parents who have thoughts on this, let us know!

Alan & Denise
authors, BABY BARGAINS

bitbangr
04-18-2001, 11:50 AM
My 18-month-old can unbuckle HIS $200 Britax RA!

He CANNOT unbuckle his $35 Cosco Touriva.

So, what's the difference? The button on the Touriva is on the FRONT, but the one on the Britax is on the TOP.

He knows exactly where both buttons are, but he physically cannot apply 9 lbs of force to release the front button on the Touriva, while it is VERY easy for him to shove down, against his weight and the straps with both thumbs to release the RA (makes sense--crawling or picking himself off the floor, his arms would have to lift half his 28 lbs, which would be 14, so 9 is a cinch).

While I agree with your method of stopping, I don't believe that would work in my case because my son does not appear to understand where we're going yet, and appears to unbuckle himself to either play with the buckle or to get out of the seat to move around the car.

I just got off the phone with Britax (their consumer services number is not listed on their website, it is 888-427-4829) and they have just made available a "buckle cover" which is made to protect the buckle from juice, food, etc. but covers up that big red button. It is free, but there's $1.95 shipping on it and it won't start shipping until next monday (4/23/01). I ordered one, so we'll see what happens.

lgeller
04-18-2001, 12:13 PM
Bitbangr:

Thank you so much for posting your response! You described exactly what I told the Britax representative - if the button was located elsewhere (i.e. on the front of the buckle) instead of on the top, a child would not be able to undo it.

Anyway, I appreciated your post about the new buckle cover they have available - I am ordering mine today. Of course, I suggested this exact idea to the representative who told me they couldn't do anything of the sort, but I guess she was misinformed.

Anyway - thanks again for posting the new info!

--Lisa

tobymc
04-20-2001, 09:58 AM
Britax has apparently been listening to all these parents who have had this problem with children popping open the red button placed on the top of the buckle.

Recently, they posted on their web site the avilability of a buckle cover to prevent this problem.

The cover is available for $1.95 shipping/handling to each owner of a Britax Roundabout, Freeway or Advantage. Call the toll free number listed on your instruction manaul. Have the model number and date of manufacture ready when you call (they are on a sticker on the side of the seat).

You can read the article on their web site at www.childseat.com under the What's New section.

Not all children figure this out (my mechanically minded 3 year old has yet to do this) but I hear you that some do. I'm glad they finally made a fix for this dangerous problem.

Toby, CPS tech (not a Britax employee, but I do like my Roundabout!)

bitbangr
05-14-2001, 10:17 AM
We received the cover several days ago. It hooks into the strap at the bottom of the buckle, and snaps around it and over the button, with a small hole at the top. It takes significant force to pull it off the buckle so you can get at the button, but I don't think that would be any problem for an adrenaline-charged parent in an emergency--probably a nail-breaker, though. I suppose if you didn't want to open it every time, you could probably find something the right size and shape to punch the button via the hole (just don't give that something to your little escape artist). We just pull it off, punch the button, then snap it back on. This avoids reminding my son about the thing when we put him in.

If my son can get past this thing before he outgrows the seat, I'm renaming him "Houdini" and sending him out on the road.

Rich