PDA

View Full Version : Century Celestia vs/ Avanta car seats

marykb
03-12-2001, 09:11 PM
LAST EDITED ON Mar-12-01 AT 07:15PM (Mountain)[p]Help! We are shopping for infant seats (baby due 5/3/01) and have finally narrowed it down (finally!). Can't see much of a difference between Century's Avanta and Celestia, which was apparently just released for 2001. Anyone have any experience with this new model, or any reason for recommending one style over the other? Planning on using our seat with Combi 6600 model stroller, if that makes any difference. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated -- thanks!

smnemeti
04-12-2001, 10:48 AM
I purchased the Avanta car seat for use with a Combi 6600 stroller. It seems to attach securely and the two will work well together, I think. (Baby not due until August) I got a great deal on both at babiesrus.com. The Avanta Se/V infant car seat/carrier was on sale at the end of March for $44.98. The Combi 6600 was $54.98 on sale at the same time. The numbers used to purchase these on the website are 543071-Combi and 542377-Avanta. If you don't find these prices check back later. I found them one day and not the next, but when I checked back yet another day they were there. Hope this helps!

tobymc
04-14-2001, 09:32 PM
I took a look at all three seats on the century web site, the Celestia, the Avanta SE and the Avanta EX. I've only seen the Avanta SE in person.

Make sure the seat you get has a 5 point harness, but I THINK all three have this.

I have found that a front harness adjuster makes a huge difference in my ability to keep the harness straps tight on a child. The Avanta SE that my neighbor has only has harness adjustment in the rear. I know that this method works just as well as the front method - if I'm vigilant and make sure the harness is tight every time, and change it often as my baby changes weight of clothes. The front adjuster still requires checking, and re-tightening, but I find it much easier.

So for this reason, you might want the Avanta EX over the other two.

Regardless, do make sure the seat you choose fits tightly in your car (you can try the floor model in your car before you buy it). Then take it to a local technician to be SURE you've gotten it in right, and your baby into it perfectly safely.

Toby McAdams, parent and CPS tech

julymom
04-16-2001, 11:29 AM
Coincidentaly, I narrowed my search for a car seat to be the Century Avanata EX V (5 point harness system). Now my only problem is finding one.

It seems that stores seem to only carry the Avanta SE.

Can you please advise me as to where to purchase an EX?
Also, where can I bring my car in to have the seat properly installed.

I appreciate your help!

Thank a lot.

tobymc
04-16-2001, 01:30 PM
I checked online at Babies R Us, Baby Catalog, Right Start Store, and Baby Universe. At most, I saw the SE.

I posted on the carseat bulletin board at ParentsPlace (http://boards2.parentsplace.com/cgi-bin/boards/carseats). It appears that the Avanta EX is not available yet. That would explain why we can't find it!

If you need it now, you may want to try the Graco SnugRide or the Fisher Price Stay in View, both of which can be bought with the 5 point harness and both of which have the front harness ajuster.

If you decide to wait for the Avanta EX, try the SE in your car now and make sure it fits. The EX should be exactly the same base and shell.

As for places to get your seat checked, try www.safekids.org, or www.fitforakid.org or www.childsafety.org to find a clinic, permanant fitting station or an individual tech (who probably knows your local scene).

Toby, CPS tech in Minneapolis