PDA

View Full Version : Car Seat Installation Check?

gabrielle
03-13-2001, 09:35 AM
Does anyone know where/how one gets their car seat checked out for proper installation? The local police department perhaps? Thanks for any info in advance!

Gabrielle

cabote
03-13-2001, 04:19 PM
I have heard that the fire department will check your seat
for proper installation. I have a friend who used this route.
I plan to do the same. Hope this helps.

lianna
03-13-2001, 09:19 PM
Check out the National Highway Traffic Safety Admin. site at
www.nhtsa.dot.gov and click on the Child Seat Inspections link,
which will bring up a page where you can look for inspectors
in your area.

Good luck.
Lianna

laclark
03-14-2001, 04:24 PM
http://www.safekids.org/

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/childps/Contacts/index.cfm

I personally would try SafeKids before using the local police/fire dept. I have heard that some of them are trained and some are not but they will help you anyway. However an untrained person checking your seats is not good. Ask if they have taken the four day class and how many seats they have checked. Many of them have only taken a 1-2 day course if any and often don't do many checks.

I volunteered at a SafeKids check and heard this from a police officer who was volunteering there. He had taken a four day class and checked lots of seats but he said often his coworkers just took the class and then didn't keep up with car seat issues, though they would check seats if people stopped in. However the recommendations change and I have heard of them giving out outdate information.

HTH
Laurie

martha7
04-22-2001, 01:04 AM
Go to www.nhtsa.gov (I think that's the right address) and look under child safety or something like that and you'll find a list of NHTSA certified technicians (often police people or hospital people) for your state. Well, you'll search by state and find the list and then you can find someone in your area and just call them up and ask if they can do it and so on. The address might include dot (for Dept. of Trnasporation). Well, you could do a search for the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration and find the right address that way. Hope that helps. Also some of the folks will be with a group called Kid Safe and they too have a web site.

Deana
04-23-2001, 07:48 AM
Also try www.fitforakid.org. Daimler/Chrysler sponsors a program and you can get your seat checked at many of their dealerships across the country (free and regardless of what type of car you have).