PDA

View Full Version : Evenflo On-My-Way Position Right V vs. Graco SnugRide DX5

lianna
03-13-2001, 09:06 PM
Help! We are due in 4 weeks, and we desparately need to finalize
our infant car seat choices. I was given an Evenflo On-My-Way
Position Right V infant car seat as a shower present. I was
wondering if I should exchange it for the Graco SnugRide DX5?
Does anyone have any experience with both seats? I have also seen
several posts about infants outgrowing the Snug Ride very quickly;
is that as much of an issue with the On-My-Way seat as well?

Also, in the 3rd ed. of Baby Bargains, the authors state that
the Graco Snug Ride was top-rated by Consumer Reports. I've
looked through all the Consumer Reports articles I can find and
can't seem to find any mention of the Graco Snug Ride anywhere.
Am I missing something? The last detailed rating I could find
was in 1999, and they rated the Graco Lite Terrain travel system,
but no mention was made of the Snug Ride.

Thanks,

Lianna

lmintzer
03-14-2001, 01:35 AM
I can't speak from experience using either seat, but we have purchased the On My Way Position Right V (the XL version with the neck and head support) in anticipation of our May baby. I know that Baby Bargains didn't like the Evenflo infant seats, but I really liked this one because it seems a little lighter (at least than the Century SmartFit models) and because of the s-shaped, well-padded handle. I also like the fabric on the model we purchased: it's a subtle navy pattern, and it seems quite plush and comfortable.

I have heard good things about the Graco Snug Ride. Only problem with it that I've learned of is that it doesn't snap into shopping carts like the Evenflo and the Century models.

I'm not sure what Consumer Reports says about this Graco seat--the reviews of the Evenflo seat are good.

Lisa

redhotpepper
03-14-2001, 03:21 PM
Lianna,

The Graco SnugRide is much easier to install and is more compatible with different cars than the Evenflo. Most of the On-My-Way seats only have one set of harness slots which almost always end up above a new babies shoulders. In the rear facing position, the harness should be at or below the shoulders.

The Graco also has an up front adjuster, which is a big plus. I had a Century infant seat for my first child and have gotten a different infant seat for my next one because the Century didn't have the front adjuster. It doesn't seem like that big of a deal but it is a REALLY nice thing to have.

Annie

SGault
03-21-2001, 01:18 PM
In response to your Consumer Reports question - I had the same problem. I called Graco about it because I wanted to know what kind of seat was rated in the Lite Rider All Terrain Travel system by Consumer Reports. She said that seat is a Snug Ride seat. That's the only kind of infant seat Graco makes. I was considering purchasing a Graco Metrolite Travel System at the time, but the seat on the display in the store said "Lite Rider Travel System". I wanted to be sure it was the Snug Ride. She said it was. It's confusing that they don't just put the same information on their labels. I think you can be assured that all their seats are Snug Rides, no matter what the label says. Some packages come with more features, however, like the infant head support and 5 point harness vs. the three point. Call Graco if you'd like to confirm for yourself. It wouldn't hurt!

sem
04-02-2001, 01:58 PM
Hi Lianna,

I don't have any experience w/the Graco but I wanted to let you know about my experience w/the Evenflo On-My-Way Position Right. It got a good rating in Consumer Reports so I bought one. This was before I received "Baby Bargains", which didn't recommend it. We had to send it back twice because the plastic kept breaking where you pull the straps through. Also, the straps tend to fold over on themselves as you pull it through making it more difficult to tighten and thus putting more pressure on the plastic. Evenflo customer service was good and replaced our seat twice with no questions asked and did say they have reinforced the plastic. I'm on my third one now and it does seem to be stronger but still difficult to tighten. If you get a different one, make sure you get one that is rated to 30 lbs because your baby will more than likely outgrow the infant seat before she/he is a year old.

Lucy
04-09-2001, 11:30 AM
I don't have any experience with the Evenflo seat but we sure do love our SnugRide DX5 here. The adjustable base makes installation easy (the CPS tech who did ours, loved it). And the front adjusting 5 point harness is terrific. It makes getting our son in and out of the seat a breeze.

If you want to look over Graco's car seats, their website is www.gracobaby.com .