PDA

View Full Version : Britax RA in a Jeep Grand Cherokee/Recline Issue?

gabrielle
03-15-2001, 03:59 PM
Does anyone have any experience with this? After reading several posts about the rear-facing recline problem I'm not so sure I should buy one for my 4-month old. What's the second best option, if any?

HH
04-29-2001, 05:53 PM
I just posted on another thread about our experience. We have a Grand Cherokee with leather seats and have had no problems with our RA. It fits great and we've been using it for the past three years. The most important thing is to anchor the car seat even in the rear facing position -- our jeep has anchor points under the front seats. We have two kids so our Roundabouts been in every seat position in the back. It does fit the best in the center but it works on the side too. Hope this helps.

gabrielle
04-30-2001, 07:23 AM
Thanks for the advice. One more question if I may... where exactly are the anchor posts under your front seats? We did end up buying the RA and it works wonderfully rear-facing in the center seat, just as you said. However we are anchoring it to the seat bolts (the things that the seat is attached to on the floor to for lack of a better word). They have runners on top that move the seat back and forth which makes me a little nervous. Are we missing other anchor points? Thank you so much for your help.

Gabrielle

kpalotay
01-04-2004, 12:26 AM
Gabrielle,
We have a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and I recently had it into the dealership to have a tether anchor point installed. According to the dealership, the only place on our make and model to install one was in the rear center. The dealership also stressed how important it was to never anchor anything to the car "seat bolts." Apparently, this can be extremely dangerous in the result of a crash. Hope this helps!
Kelli

murphydog77
01-04-2004, 07:43 PM
Kelli, it's very true that you should only tether a forward-facing seat to a manufacturer approved tether anchor. They are the only things strong enough to hold the top of a car seat in a crash. For a rear-facing Britax seat, however, there is less than 200 lbs. crash force applied to the tether. That is why it's OK to tether a rf Britax seat to a front seat leg (or any other non-moving structural part).

Heather, CPS Tech
http://www.carseatsite.com

kpalotay
01-04-2004, 10:13 PM
Heather,
Thank you so much for correcting me. Earlier today, I actually talked to another tech, and she explained how the RA tether works. I had it all wrong! Seeing how that fixes the recline issue, I will be buying a RA Monday. Thanks again!
Kelli