PDA

View Full Version : Century Avanta SE Infant Car Seat

sschweikle
03-19-2001, 12:10 PM
Does anyone have one of these Avanta SE infant carrier/seats? The features seem good, including infant head rest, and good for 22 pounds and 29 inches. But there are not any useful reviews or info posted on this particular item on line. My other option is a Century Smart Fit Plus 22, but they are becoming increasing hard to find in stores OR on line. The only downside with the Avanta SE that I've found out is that you need to purchase a extra base($35 w/s&h) directly from Century since they ar not available in stores. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You.

Susie S
04-20-2001, 04:10 AM
We recently had our first child and after a ton of research purchased the Smart Fit Plus Elite. It is a little different from the 22 version. I have found it to be bulky and difficult to put in and out of our cars (Dodge Caravan, and Suburu Outback). Check out the width of the actual handle - it tends to be more square and awkward for me. Additionally, the clip used to "lock" the seat onto a shopping cart and our Snap 'N Go just broke off/disappeared....

Long story short, we are exchanging our Smart Fit for an Avanta EX V. It seems easier to handle and I LOVE the idea of a front adjusting system...you'll see.

Hope this helps!

tobymc
04-20-2001, 09:50 AM
The Avanta has a fairly large base, and sits pretty high. So you'll want to be very sure that the base and seat fit well in your car before you buy it. Lots of stores will let you take the floor model out to your car to try it before you buy. The SmartFit base is smaller and a bit narrower I think.

Good features for an infant seat are a 5 point harness and a front harness adjuster, and of course, a seat (and base) and fit very tightly in your car.

As the other poster mentioned, the Avanta EX is supposed to have the front adjster. However, I don't know if it is available yet.

So as long as the Avanta fits, it is a nice deep seat that will last you longer than some infant seats. As with all infant seats, your baby can use it until his or her head comes within one inch of the top of the shell, which is a better measure of fit than the total length of your child.

Also, it is always a good idea to find a carseat clinic or permanent fitting station and have your seat checked out, even before your baby is born.

Toby, CPS tech.

cokie7
04-20-2001, 10:43 PM
Hi,

I was wondering if you happened to have purchased the Century Avanta EX V Infant Car Seat yet, and where you bought it from. I want to purchase this car seat but don't know where to find it. If you could supply me with an address and phone number of the store that would be great. Even better if purchased online.

Thank you,
Colette

Tondi G
04-24-2001, 02:37 PM
Sorry to butt in but... go to the Century Web site and get their 800 customer service number...they should be able to help you in finding the store nearest you that is carrying the EX V! I called and they only have a few select stores that are carrying the seat at this point...the one nearest me was 6 hours away! Good Luck, I hope this helped!