PDA

View Full Version : Evenflo handles vs. Graco/Century

ecarley
03-27-2001, 11:43 AM
Hi all,

As we try to make infant seat decisions, I find myself really attracted to the Evenflo handle that is twisted so it's a more natural position for holding. Can anyone tell me if this feature is as comfortable as it looks? Or is it just a cute feature that doesn't make much difference?

Thank you!

lmintzer
03-28-2001, 05:47 PM
My husband and I recently purchased the Evenflo On My Way Position Right VXL for our baby (due in early May). Although I carefully considered Baby Bargains' suggestions and comments about Century, Graco, and Evenflo seats (they recommended against the Evenflo), I was impressed enough with certain features on the Evenflo to decide to give it a shot. After picking up all of the infant seats, I found the Evenflo one of the lightest and most compact (which is good if you have a small car like we do), and I found the z-shaped handle so much more comfortable and natural than the handles on the Century SmartFit or Graco SnugRide seats.

One of Baby Bargains critiques of Evenflo seats is that they cost more than the equivalent Century seats. This may be true when comparing the lower or middle end seats, but when you compare price on the high-end seats (the Evenflo Position Right VXL versus the Century Smart Fit Elite or Supreme), the Evenflo seat was actually $10 less. So price didn't wind up playing much of a factor for us.

The cons of the Evenflo seat, as I see them, are this: the weight limit is 20 lbs. as opposed to 22 lbs. for the Century seat, and the size limit is 26 inches as opposed to 26 1/2 (in other words, baby may grow out of it faster. Also, the Evenflo seat does not have multiple slots for adjusting the height of the harness as the child grows bigger (this is probably the biggest weakness of this seat).

Hope this helps some.

Lisa

Grace
03-30-2001, 09:11 AM
I bought the Century, and yes, the handle isn't that comfortable. The only thing I can say about the Evenflo is my friend has one and it seems her two sons outgrew it much faster than my son outgrew his Century seat. Century does allow the 22 lb. and I believe 27"(?) and the Evenflow is not as generous which is what the last reply said. The Evenflow seat just LOOKS so much smaller.

Good luck,
Grace

aunt83me02
04-01-2001, 02:23 AM
The Evenflo handles are okay. They're not quite as comfortable as they look. The Century Smartfit series is very difficult to carry. The Graco, I think, is a little bit better than the Evenflo. I haven't carried the Avanta/Celestia. I think it looks more comfortable than the others, but I'm not sure about the weight of the seat. Over all I'd say it's a toss-up for the Graco/Evenflo. Try looking at the other aspects of the seats to help decide.