PDA

View Full Version : Booster Seats

KKPerry
04-03-2001, 11:02 PM
As my 1st daughter approaches her 3rd birthday and my 2nd daughter is growing like a weed I am looking into the realm of booster seats. I was looking for any information/guidance/suggestions. I have little knowledge on this area (unlike car seats) and there is not a lot of coverage in the book. It is hard to determine the differences among models and brands.

I was looking at Costo and Century - models with the 5-point harness and shoulder straps. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks!

aunt83me02
04-05-2001, 01:56 PM
Booster seats are something you don't hear a lot about in terms of safety ratings. Cosco, Century, Graco and Evenflo all make high back boosters with the internal 5-point harness up to 40lbs. and then convert to belt-positioners. So far I haven't heard anyone come out and say that one is safer than the other. The boosters can be used on airplanes when using the 5-point harness, but cannot be used when it is a belt-positioning booster. There is also the Fisher Price Futura 20/60 that doesn't need a tether, and can be used with lap belt only. It has a four point harness (a 5-point version is available ONLY at the center for injury prevention, www.cipsafe.org ) for up to 60lbs. but does not become a belt positioner. It can be used on an airplane up to 60lbs. Another seat that is just coming out is the Britax super elite which has an internal 5-point harness for up to 80lbs. (the weigh limit for belt positioning boosters) The super-elite cannot be used on aircraft because it is too wide for the seats. I would say to make sure you get one with a 2-piece chest clip! Those are so nice! Hope this has helped and not confused!