PDA

View Full Version : Infant seats?.. Avanta SEorEX V / Celestia V???? advise anyone???

Tondi G
04-11-2001, 02:55 PM
I am following the suggestion to buy a Century Infant car seat... Does anyone have any experience with either of these seats? Have you seen the new Celestia anywhere? I have heard the base is High on the Avanta...anyone with this seat have any trouble or do you know someone who has one(do they like it)? Baby shower in a month need to register for a seat... Anyone recieved the new book and seen the review.... help! Thanks in advance for any advise! Tondi

tobymc
04-12-2001, 09:56 AM
I haven't seen the new book, but here are a few things to consider. Basically, the best seat is the one that fits your car, fits your baby, and is easy for you to use correctly every time.

1. Fits your car. You can check out my web site, www.carseatdata.org to see if someone else has already tried the seats you want in a car like yours. But the best thing is try the seats yourself, to make sure YOU can get a nice, snug fit in your car. Many stores will let you take seats out to your car and try them. Make sure the seat and its base can't move more than an inch when shoved side to side.

The Avanta has a large base, but if it fits well, that is not a problem. But if you have a small car, you may have more troubles with this seat.

2. Easy for you to use correctly every time. One feature that helps a lot with this is a front harness adjuster (on the Avanta EX I think, but not the SE). That harness must be nice and tight all the time (so you can't take a pinch of harness material), and a front adjuster helps you change it daily depending on clothes.

3. Fits your baby. Choose a 5 point harness. Those extra 2 points will help position your baby just right, and keep the baby from too much "slumping". The two piece harness retainer clip is also easier to use than the one piece paper clip style.

So of the seats you are considering, the Avanta and the Celestia, I think only the Avanta EX has the 5 point harness and the front adjuster. If it fits in your car well, it sounds like a good choice. The Graco SnugRide and the Fisher Price Stay In View 5 pt. both also have these two features. The Stay In View is particularly narrow, if that becomes an issue for you.

Once you get your seat, and even before your baby is born, install the seat in your car, and get it checked by a local technician. Then you can rest (and give birth!) assured that your baby will be as safe as possible in the car.

I hope this helps.

Toby McAdams, CPS tech