PDA

View Full Version : Century/Graco 1000STE Convertible Car Seat

spelton
04-23-2001, 12:34 AM
Hi all! I am investigating convertible car seats and wanted to get some input. Ideally, I am looking for a seat that can be used rear-facing (upto 30 pounds -- because we have a big baby ;), then as a toddler/booster seat (upto 60/80 pounds). The only seat that I know can do all these things is the Eddie Bauer, 3-in-1, which was *not* recommended by Baby Bargains. Does anyone know of any other seats that matches this description?

If I can't find a 3-in1 type of seat, I am thinking of going with a regular convertible seat and then worrying about the booster later. Any of you out there have used the 1000STE Convertible Car by Graco/Century. It's on sale right now for $49.99 on Babiesrus.com (regularly $89.99).

thanks!
-Susan

Geebee
04-23-2001, 09:25 AM
If you are looking for the infant/toddler seat (not the booster), I like the Century Accel. The cost was about $60 at Babies R Us. I chose this one over the 1000STE because when I was looking (about 6 months ago), the 1000STE didn't have the tether strap or the chest clip. The Accel has both of these features, but doesn't cost a lot more.

I hope that helps!

tobymc
04-23-2001, 09:56 AM
Hi Susan.

As far as I know, there is only one "extended use" seat that can be used as a convertible and later as a booster seat. That is the Cosco Alpha Omega, also called the Cosco Eddie Bauer 3 in 1. From a safety standpoint, there is nothing wrong with this seat that I know of. It passes all US test standards. So if it fits tightly in your car, both rear facing and forward facing, and if you use it correctly, it should work well for you. It does come in the safer 5 point version.

However, it is a large seat and may not fit well, so make very sure to try it in your car before you buy it. Also, it has less padding than some seats, and has the twisty straps that many of the seats have. In my opinion, it isn't a bad seat, but it isn't as nice as some of the other convertibles. But if it meets your needs and fits in your car, it is a fine choice.

If you decide to go with a convertible, skip the Century 1000. You mention wanting a seat that rear faces until at least 30 pounds. The Century 1000 only goes to 22 pounds.

There are several other basic, no-frills seats that do go to 30 or 35 pounds, like the Cosco Touriva, the Century Accel or the Evenflo Conquest. The Fisher Price Safe Embrace I costs more but has the no-twist straps, the eps foam, and built in locking clips. The Britax Roundabout has the most safety and ease of use features, but also costs the most.

You can also check my database (http://www.carseatdata.org) for some information on which seats may fit well or badly in your car/s, or the buying guide that some parents and technicians have put together (http://pages.ivillage.com/buyingguide/home.html) which gives lots of information on the features of many of the seats as well as some parents comments about many.

Toby, CPS tech

spelton
04-23-2001, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the info Toby and Geebee!
-Susan