PDA

View Full Version : Car Seat for Volvo & Saturn

gingerbrown
04-23-2001, 02:14 PM
We have a 2000 Volvo V70 Wagon & a 1995 Saturn SL sedan (4-door). Does anyone have any recommendations as to what infant car seats work well in one or both of these cars?

Thanks in advance!

Ginger
edd 10/6/01

tobymc
04-23-2001, 02:49 PM
According to my database (http://www.carseatdata.org), you may have quite a project ahead of you. There are reports of the Century SmartFit fitting and not fitting in the center. So I wouldn't count on it fitting. And the space was too narrow for the SmartFit, so a larger seat like the Avanta or the On My Way is even less likely to fit. The Graco SnugRide also has a report of not fitting in one of these cars. So there was no infant seat that was generally reported to fit. I was looking at the center position.

I would try the Fisher Price 5 pt. Stay in View. It is a nice seat and is very narrow. It has the 5 point harness and a front adjuster. I like the carry handle. I like the base too. I bought one and then passed it along to my neighbor, and she says that so far it is great (their baby is almost 3 weeks old).

If the FP doesn't work, I'd try the Century Smart Fit next, since it also has a narrowish base. See if YOU can get it to fit. You don't want it to move more than an inch side to side when you shove it.

You could also consider the Britax Handle With Care, if you are willing to spend that much and have an infant seat without a base.

But definitely try your seat before you buy if you can, and try it in the second car when you get home so you can return it if it doesn't fit.

Toby, CPS tech