PDA

View Full Version : Help! Opinions needed ASAP!

stella
04-24-2001, 10:30 AM
My husband's office wants to give us a carseat as a gift. Unfortunately the Roundabout is not an option!! What is available in our small town is the Century Avanta, the SmartFit Plus, and the Graco SnugRide DX5.

I have a combi 6610 perfect match stroller for use with whatever carseat we get. The primary vehicle for this carseat is a Honda Accord Station Wagon.

Any thoughts? I need to let them know ASAP! Thanks a ton!

gina
04-24-2001, 01:02 PM
I have a Graco SnugRide DX5 sitting next to my computer that we stopped using when my daughter was 3 1/2 months old because it was too heavy for me to lift and the straps were too short to fit around my little princess. At 4 months, she had grown longer than the 26" mark (she was 19" long at birth). I've used both the Century SmartFit Plus and the Britax RoundAbout. I use the RoundAbout rear-facing in my car and LOVE it! It is so much more secure with the rear-facing tether. I borrowed the Century from a friend and use it when we dine out and in Grandma's car.
I ordered my Britax on-line from RightStart.com and had no problems - quick delivery.
Good luck in your decision!
gina

alandenisefields
04-24-2001, 02:09 PM
Hi Stella.

First, check the web site www.CarSeatData.org for a list of seats that work well in your Honda.

Second, don't rule out the Graco---it is a good seat. Graco offers a free harness extension kit if you find the straps become too short (depends in your baby's size, growth, etc.).

As far as weight goes, the lightest seat of those 3 is the Smart Fit, followed by the Graco SnugRide and finally the Avanta.

Best wishes,
Alan & Denise Fields, Authors
BABY BARGAINS

peg
04-24-2001, 04:04 PM
Happily used the smartfit for 1st and now 2nd baby. Mt older child is now using the Roundabout, which is an awesome seat for when your baby ougrows the infant carrier. Order online from The Right Start and you'll get free shipping.

mhill
04-27-2001, 05:12 PM
I have the Century Avanta and have been pleased with it. I like the 5point restraint system. The Baby Bargains book is critical of it because it is too heavy, the base is heavy, but always stays in the car. The carrier doesn't seem too heavy to me. I know what you mean about poor selection of items. Maybe you could get them to get you a gift certificate to a catalog where you could order the one you want.