PDA

View Full Version : economical convertible carseats

aunt83me02
04-25-2001, 10:02 PM
LAST EDITED ON Apr-25-01 AT 09:25PM (Mountain)[p]There is a crisis pregnancy center in our area in need of convertible carseats. They are there to help girls who are pregnant, unmarried that decide to keep their babies. They help them get started with carseats, high chairs, baby clothes etc. They also provide counseling, abstinence education in schools, etc. I was wanting to help them by buying a brand-new seat versus the used ones they usually get, one I know has never been in an accident. Since I don't know what kind of a car the people who will be getting it drive, that's not really an issue. Because of the high cost of shipping I was hoping that I could find one in my area. I want a 5-point seat that is rear-facing to 30lbs. but I really can't afford one over $80. I was looking at the Century 1000 STE, I realize it's not rear-facing to 30lbs, but it does meet my other criteria. Consumer Reports rated it at the top, so that was a plus. Does anyone know anything about the Cosco Triad? I am going to see if maybe I could get a discount since it's going to charity, the crisis pregnancy center is a non-profit organization supported by local churches, etc. I'd appreciate any input.

tobymc
04-26-2001, 08:20 AM
I buy Cosco Tourivas to give away. I also use one as a backup seat for my son.

Tourivas are usually about $45 at Kmart, less on sale. They come in 5 pt., and rear face to 35 pounds. They are a simple, light, narrow seat that tends to fit well in many cars. Cosco has cut corners on all the "extras", leaving a seat that is harder to use than my Roundabout, but is still very safe. Since it is so light and narrow, it is the seat I usually travel with. It is the seat that I usually give out at clinics. I bought a bunch on sale so that I would have spares to give away too.

The next nicer seat is the Century Accel. Also fits well, but has nicer padding, and is wider. It costs around $60 I think.

I would encourage you to buy a Touriva at Kmart, and an Evenflo Right Fit for $22 at Toys R Us if you can afford both. The Right Fits are a great no-back booster that is very cheap and effective. Toys R Us just started carrying them. Only about 10% of children 4 to 8 are in the booster seats they need to keep them safe. I would bet that some of these teen moms have older children also, and I doubt the center has any boosters, or may have even thought of trying to get some.

I think you've got a fantastic idea! I try to do the same thing in my community when I can.

You can also see if they need to be put in touch with local carseat organizations. In my state (Minnesota) there are now carseats available for distribution from money collected from child seat violation ticket revenues. It is very exciting. And Boost America is embarking on a big tour to give away tons of booster seats in June. So if this group is giving out used carseats, there might be resources that they are unaware of that could help them out. You can try the NHTSA tech locator (www.nhtsa.gov) to find a local technician in your area who might know who is doing what.

Toby, CPS tech in Minneapolis, MN