PDA

View Full Version : Britax RA worth the extra $$$

mkmom
04-30-2001, 08:41 PM
Is the Britax RA really worth the extra money?? I currently use a Century Smart Fit Plus infant car seat/carrier (which I really like) and also have the Century rear/forward facing car seat (which I have yet to open). I am considering purchasing a second rear/forward facing car seat.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you !!

tobymc
05-01-2001, 03:23 PM
It has been for me.

I own four convertibles: the Roundabout, the Cosco Touriva, the Evenflo Horizon and the Fisher Price Safe Embrace. They all work and they are all safe.

As a parent, I've felt that my Roundabout was worth every extra penny for the extra safety features, and especially for the extra ease of use features. The safest seat is the one that fits your child, fits your car, and that you use correctly every time. Once I learned how to use it, I have found it much easier to use the RA correctly every trip. My partner is not as detail oriented as I am, so I'm especially glad to have the RA that she uses daily. I know that I get the straps of our Touriva flat and tight every time I use the seat. I know she wouldn't.

I love the no-twist straps, the rear facing tether, the built in locking clips, the eps foam in the head area, and especially the high quality harness adjuster that still works well with the seat installed and the child in the seat.

I must note that the Roundabout does not fit in all cars. No seat does. It tends to fit well. It fit my van when not much else did. But it will not fit every car. You can check my database (www.carseatdata.org) to see if someone has tried it in your car.

Which Century convertible do you have? If it is the SmartMove, then return it. That seat is also safe, and can be a great seat. But it TENDS to fit badly, especially rear facing, and is very heavy. The Bravo doesn't have any of the special features I list above, but is a fine, basic seat. The Accel is just a bit nicer than the Touriva - a good, cheap seat that takes just a bit more vigilence to use correctly, compared to the Roundabout.

I hope this helps.

Toby

khenkel
05-02-2001, 06:35 AM
I have the Century Smart Fit Plus and love it. I have the entire travel system and it's such a breeze to snap sleeping baby out of the base and into the stroller. Now that my little cherub is a whopping 17 lbs., 26 " in a short 5 months, I'm especially glad I have the Smart Fit Plus as the height and weight limits are 29", 22 lbs.

Currently I am looking to purchase a Britax RA now that said cherub is too heavy for me to "click her out" and carry her around without breaking my back. Since she is rapidly approaching the height/weight limits, I am hoping that the LATCH version of the RA will be out soon.

Bottom line, if you have an active lifestyle and will be transporting baby around a lot, get the Century Smart Fit Plus seat for the early months and wait on the RA until later. If you're on a tight budget, I'd go ahead and get the Britax RA, because if your baby is like mine, it will grouw out of the Smart Fit Plus rather quickly.

Hope this helps!

P.S. The Smart Fit Plus is one of the lightest carriers.

Geebee
05-02-2001, 10:09 AM
I bought the Century Accel, and it works fine (for both rear and forward facing). I couldn't find anything that said that the Britax was worth 4x the cost of the Accel. The Britax isn't 4x better than the Accel. Even Consumer Reports selected a low end Century (the 1000STE) over the Britax. I'm happy with my choice, and I am glad that I didn't spend the extra money.

I chose the Accel over the 1000STE because the Accel has a chest clip and forward facing tether strap. With these features on a low end car seat, I didn't see any reason to pay for the Britax.

I hope that helps.

Em
05-03-2001, 01:04 PM
I just received the Century SmartFit Plus from Babies R Us and stickers on the seat clearly show a weight limit of 20 lbs. and a height limit of 27". The big glossy advertising tag also shows those limits.

One of the reasons I bought this seat was the extra 2 lbs and 2" cited in the the Fields' book, so I am a little frustrated.

Is your seat marked with limits of 22 lbs. and 29"?

Em

Geebee
05-03-2001, 01:42 PM
LAST EDITED ON May-03-01 AT 12:46PM (Mountain)[p]I have a Century SmartFit (Elite, I think, but I'm not sure), and it is marked 22 lbs and 29 inches. Check out the Century website (www.centuryproducts.com). It seems to depend on which model of the SmartFit that you purchase. There is one at the website called "SmartFit Plus 22" which states that it is good up to 22 lbs and 29 inches. The Supreme is 22 lbs and 27 inches (weird). And the other two (Plus and Elite) are good up to 20 lbs and 27 inches.

Good Luck!

mkmom
05-03-2001, 08:14 PM
Your feedback is a great help, thank you !!

mkmom
05-31-2001, 07:12 PM
I have since purchased the Britax RA and I can now answer my own question...... YES it definitely was worth the extra money !!!! Thanks to everyone for their feedback.