PDA

View Full Version : What if you don't have a car? infant seat??

Jenna-Brooklyn
05-04-2001, 01:02 PM
Ok, I live in Brooklyn, NY and do not own a car and will not for the foreseeable future. However, we will be visiting family who do have cars and well.... we will need a car seat of some sort for these trips. Should we get an infant one? Rent when we need to??

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I want to get a combi-ultra savvy stroller so an infant seat will snap into it... is it worth it? We will be going to Chicago to visit my inlaws in September (and attend a wedding).

Also... travelling out there... our baby will be 4-6 weeks old depending on when I deliver, should we travel by plane? I'm worried about my baby's ears (with the cabin pressure I mean)....

or should we take the train from NY? It *is* a long trip, but we have enjoyed the train trip many times in the past.... but never with an infant... heh. (yes we'd get a compartment)

Deana
05-07-2001, 07:54 AM
Re: travelling at 4-6 weeks. Friends of ours came over from England for our wedding (in DC) with their 5-week old and had no problems. That's still an age where they are sleeping almost all the time. To help the baby in terms of cabin pressure, you can feed or give them a pacifier during take-off and landing.

Just my opinion, but I would get a carrier/car seat for use on planes, taxis, other people's cars, etc.

tobymc
05-07-2001, 03:47 PM
I think purchasing an infant seat is a great idea. Finding one that fits on a stroller you want sounds smart. That way you will have your infant seat even when you want to take taxis or get a ride from someone. And you'll be able to use it on your trip, in the airplane and in the relative's car. Airlines will let you use an empty seat for your infant seat if there is one, or you can buy a seat for your baby (safer, of course).

Renting seats tends to add up quickly, and you don't know the seat's history. It will probably cost about the same to buy one, and then you'll have it all these other times.

Another choice is to buy the Sit-n-stroll. It is not my favorite carseat because it must be re-installed every trip, but it is a carseat that turns into a stroller quickly and easily. The wheels pop out of the bottom. It rear faces up to 22 pounds, which may and may not be enough to keep your new baby rear facing up to a year. It costs about $160.

I've never flown with a baby that young. Nursing did help my son when he was a bit older and we flew. Train trips are nice, though that one does sound long. Last month I saw a family travelling coach with 1 month old twins. So I guess it is what you prefer.

Toby, CPS tech