PDA

View Full Version : New types of car seat?

Hawaii Kim
05-04-2001, 07:24 PM
Hi!, I am a first time mom and I want it said that I have read the book section on car seats and I am taking it with me to the store to see what my options are. I saw a Car Seat by Eddie Bauer that says it will work for children 5lbs to 80lbs, an d can be rear facing etc.... It also has the Tether thing? My husband and I just bought a car that has the latch thing in the back for car seats. I am really sorry, I do not know all the exact words for these items. Anyway, I saw that the rating for the company for Eddie Bauer was a C+. I guess what I am wondering is what your thoughts are on the new seat if you have any? Also, do you think in your personal opinion (being a parent) that the infant/pumpkin seat is a have to have or would a seat that doubles as a infant seat and an older seat be good also? Mind my is spinning with all the different things on the market. Thank you for taking the time to answer this message.

Kim
due 11/14/01

ACinnamonGirl
05-05-2001, 10:30 PM
LAST EDITED ON May-05-01 AT 09:57PM (Mountain)[p]Aloha Kim! (My Local Boy husband & I moved to the Mainland 3 years ago)
I believe the carseat you are referring to is made by Cosco. It is essentially the Alpha Omega design but in the colors that coordinate with the Eddie Bauer Ford Explorer. It is a 3-in1 convertible carseat that is also a booster seat. My husband & I were thinking of buying it for our rapidly growing daughter (she's 24" at 2 months). Although the seat got mixed reviews in the BB book, there are lots of favorable reviews at the epinions.com site. I too would be interested in hearing from owners of this seat - pro's & cons.
Mahalo,
Jules

EllieCB
05-15-2001, 04:39 PM
Two of my sisters have the Alpha-Omega carseats, and although they seem happy with them, the seat is nearly impossible to install rear-facing in a compact car. One sister visited and we went out in my car (98 Mercury Tracer). The car seat would barely fit in the back seat because of the sheer size of the thing. We were never able to get the proper recline because we couldn't move the front seat far enough forward. If you have a smaller car, you might be better off buying a seat that doesn't convert to a booster seat, since that feature makes the seat taller. It's even a tight fit in my parent's Ford Taurus. But, it does fit great forward facing in several cars in my family (Honda Civic, Ford Explorer, Ford Taurus, Toyota 4Runner).

Ellie