PDA

View Full Version : Fisher Price Stay-in-View Infant Car Seat

TLC1994
05-18-2001, 09:10 AM
I just called Fisher Price to ask where to purchase an additional base for the Stay-in-View infant car seat and they told me they no longer sell or distribute the base separately. But she said that the infant seat can be used on it's own (without the base) and is safe, you just wouldn't have the mirror feature.

This probably sounds funny but, should I trust what they say? Is the infant car seat just as safe without the base? Or should I start trying to find a different car seat?

Thanks for the input.

tobymc
05-18-2001, 02:35 PM
The quick answer is yes, infant seats without bases are just as safe.

The long answer is that there are trade offs both ways. With a base, you only have to install the seat once, or once every time you need to move the base. So you can put a lot of time and attention into your installation. You can get your installation of your base checked and know it is right and will stay that way. But there is an extra connection, from the base to the seat, that could snap. It isn't likely, but it is another source of potential problems.

Without the base, you know that you are using the belt system to directly attach the seat to the car. But you have to install the seat correctly EVERY time. So you have to get more skilled in installing the seat quickly and correctly. Even when the baby is crying, you still have to do it right. Of course, you'll be doing it often enough that you WILL get very good, and quick too. When you get your seat checked, make sure that you leave confident that you can do it yourself, since you'll definitely have to.

So IF you are installing the seat correctly every time, an infant seat without a base could be considered safer.

So the rep at FP was right.

Toby, CPS tech

alandenisefields
05-18-2001, 02:38 PM
We agree. I believe nearly ALL infant seats can be used without their bases and that is just as safe. Not as easy for the parent, but safe.

While we wish F-P would make extra bases available for sale, we still think the seat is worth a look.

Alan & Denise Fields, Authors
BABY BARGAINS

jlin
05-23-2001, 12:10 AM
On the 5th of May I e-mailed FP about getting another base also. They e-mailed back that I can get another base for 12.98 plus 3.97 shipping. The number they gave me to call was 800-432-5437. I haven't actually ordered it yet, but I hope this helps.