PDA

View Full Version : Due in 4 weeks! Can't decide on a car seat! Please help!

jenlyn
05-24-2001, 12:55 PM
I've been going around in circles trying to decide on a car seat and stroller for my soon-to-arrive little one. I recently spotted an infant car seat by Peg Perego..that sells separately as well as part of a combo/stroller unit. It's quite expensive (119 dollars) - this seems to be new since it wasn't mentioned in the 3rd edition of the BBB. Any input? We have one car - a 99' VW Jetta, which I believe should be installed with the new car seat attachment. I plan to get a Britax for later..should I take advantage of the attachment and just get the Fisher Price infant car seat now? Can I just use the Britax from day 1? And, last but not least...I would like these seats to be installed properly..any advice on where to go??? Thank you for any input!!

tobymc
05-24-2001, 02:52 PM
You've raised a bunch of good questions.

First, the Peg Perego infant seat. I've seen it in the store, but haven't tried it in any cars yet. I think it has a 5 point harness and a front adjuster, but I'm not sure. You could check on it. Those two features make a big difference in how well the baby fits and is held in position in the seat, and how easy it is to keep the straps tight. The down sides of the seat so far are that you MUST use the base. All other infant seats can be used without the base in another car, taxi, etc. Also, it has a fairly large, boxy base that looks to me like it may not fit well in many cars. If you try it in your car, I'd love to know how it does fit. Mostly, the more sculpted bases with a recline mechanism seem to fit best.

The three other infant seats that come with a 5 point harness and a front adjuster are the Fisher Price Stay In View 5 pt., the Graco SnugRide 5 pt. and the Avanta EX (may be hard to find, and has a large base). Any of these that fits well in your car would therefore be a good choice.

Convertible seats CAN be used from day one. Most all of them are rated for use from 5 pounds or birth. However, tiny infants don't fit all that well in them. That can be solved with receiving blankets rolled and placed around the baby (not under). Or you can use an infant seat for the first months. The infant seat also gives you quite a lot of convenience.

The Britax Roundabout is a great convertible seat. However, it is not available with the LATCH attachment right now, and I'm guessing it will be awhile until it is out.

Since you have the latch attachments, you may want to use them. However, seats are not safer with the attachments per say. They are safer if they are properly installed, which may be easier with the latch attachments.

So far, the latch seats include the Fisher Price Safe Embrace II, the Cosco Triad, and some Century seats that can be retrofitted. Oh, and the Britax Expressway (forward facing only).

Try the NHTSA site (www.nhtsa.gov) to find a contact in your state and/or to find a technician in your area who can help you find a place to get your seat checked (or do it themselves). Or you can try DaimerChrysler's site, fitforakid.org. Or the Safe Kids program, www.safekids.org. It is very well worth the effort to find a tech to check your seat. You'll learn a lot, your child will be safer, and you will have less to worry about once your precious little one is born.

I hope this helps.

Toby, CPS tech