PDA

View Full Version : Car seats for Volvo V70 and Ford F-150

hall
05-28-2001, 10:18 AM
Help!!! I am trying to determine which convertible car seats (rear-facing) fit in the back seat (preferably in the center) of a 2000 Volvo V70 and a 1997 Ford F-150 SuperCab. I have had a difficult time finding seats to fit either of these vehicles. I have tried the car seat compatiblity web site (Toby's site) and found only seats for the F-150. However the seats that were listed were forward facing or did not do very well in Consumer Reports' crash tests. Can anyone help me????

Thank you!

tobymc
05-30-2001, 11:22 AM
I did my own search, and found several things.

For the Volvo V70, I found one rear facing convertible, the Cosco Touriva. Most other things (not rear facing convertibles) seemed to fit well except for a Graco SnugRide, which was too wide for the center position. This suggests that you may need to look for narrower seats for this position. The Touriva is a narrower seat, which makes sense.

For the F-150, four rear facing convertibles were listed, and all fit well. They are the Britax Roundabout, the Fisher Price Safe Embrace, the Evenflo Horizon and the Century 1500. The first three are all good choices (the Century only rear faces to 20 pounds).

So I'd suggest taking the Volvo when you go seat shopping. Choose the seat you are most interested in, and try it in the Volvo. If you have trouble finding a seat that fits tightly, try some of the narrower seats, like the Cosco Touriva (look alike to the Eddie Bauer convertible) or the Cosco Alpha Omega (make sure to get the 5 pt. version, also called the Cosco 3 in 1). You can explore my measurements page on my site for some comparison of the width of different seats. But start with the seat you want - width may not be a big factor, as there is only one report about that.

And when you do find seats that fit, or don't, in your volvo, let me know and I'll add them for the next parent with a Volvo V70!

Toby, CPS tech

gingerbrown
05-30-2001, 01:36 PM
With regard to the Volvo V70 & the Graco snug ride -- I just purchased that infant car seat, installed it in my 2000 Volvo V70 & had it checked by a certified technician -- it fits fine. The only catch is that you can't have the front passenger seats positioned all the way back, so my 6' 4" husband may not be pleased for a few months ... But the seat does fit.