PDA

View Full Version : Consumer Reports Rates Car Seats!!

TLC1994
06-04-2001, 10:41 AM
Consumer Reports has a revised report on car seats (infant, convertible & booster). Just to go their website: http://www.consumerreports.org and click on the link. You can view the article & ratings without subscribing.

A brief overview of how they rate infant car seats...

They rate the Graco SnugRide DX5 as the best, the Cosco Designer 2nd, the Century Avanta SE V 3rd, then the Fisher Price Stay in View (there are others rated as well). The lower rating of the Stay in View is a little disappointing to me since that's the infant car seat I thought I was going to get (the strap seemed like a nice idea as well as the lighter weight of the car seat). Here's what they say about it... "Adequate protection but not the easiest to use. Convenient harness adjustment. Base with mirror lets driver see child's face in rearview mirror. But 3-point harness is not best design. Difficult handle adjustment. Requires assembly."

The Stay in View gets EXCELLENT ratings for crash protection & how it fits in the car with the base, a GOOD rating for how it fits in the car without the base, but only a FAIR rating for ease of use.

At least Consumer Reports has finally rated car seats, though. It's been a while.

Anyway...any thoughts?

alandenisefields
06-04-2001, 11:04 AM
Hi there. We just got this in the office today. We plan to post an "analysis" of CR's latest crash tests on our web site later this week (hopefully)! Stay tuned.

Alan & Denise Fields, Authors
BABY BARGAINS

jilldave
06-04-2001, 12:57 PM
I am anxious to see your analysis. We need to buy a convertible for our 7 month old daughter and I was all set to order a Britax Roundabout. It looked like CR's top pick is the Fisher-Price Safe Embrace. Thanks for your input.

Minnie Mouse
06-05-2001, 11:41 AM
We are looking at the Stay In View as well and plan on buying it despite the lukewarm review from CR. They tested only the 3pt harness and it now comes with a 5pt...I think that it probably will make somewhat of a difference.

I don't know why they didn't test the 5pt model, they have phased out the 3pt and the 5pt have been available in stores since at least January or February of this year.

Taking into consideration the SIV's great features, low weight, carry strap and mirror as well as it's superior rave reviews by everyone that I have heard that has used it...we will definitely be picking up this seat for our first child!!

Christine
Due 7/23/01

uncle_e
06-07-2001, 03:54 AM
I recently purchased a Graco Snug Ride from To R Us. You had mentioned the hassle of having to order the extender straps because
the standard straps that come with the seat were too short for big babies. I just wanted to add that my seat came with the extender
straps included. So there won't be any hassle for me. They are there if I need them. We are having a little baby anyway. I may not
even need them.