PDA

View Full Version : Can the pattern on fabric entertain an infant?

acadiaphile
06-11-2001, 11:32 AM
My husband and I are in the final stages of selecting an infant car seat. We decided on the Graco SnugRide DX5. Now we're debating the choice of upolstery. Friends have recommended we make sure the fabric on the seat's canopy have some "entertaing" fabric, i.e., little animals, etc. rather than a plaid or neutral print. The only style that meets that description is the "Barkley" and my husband hates the sage green background color. He further argues that the fabric's pattern won't matter a bit to the baby.

What experience/information do you all have regarding whether or not babies can appreciate one pattern vs. another on a canopy.

Thanks!

laclark
06-11-2001, 12:42 PM
Well we had this seat for my daughter and the bunnies on the pattern did entertain her. I got this pattern just because our Babies R Us had only this one and the plaid which I thought was horridly ugly. So it was this one. I didn't like it much better either.

However when dd was a few months old she started "talking" (squealing and cooing) at the bunnies on the canopy. She would look up and just squeal away.

I guess it depends on your baby. If they are fussy then the entertainment might be nice, if they are generally happy then it might not be such a big deal. In our case dd usually did quite well in the car, but it was nice to have built in entertainment.

Personally I would just recommend getting a good safe five point car seat (which this seat is) and if you don't like the more "entertaining" patterns get one of the soft activity mats that you can put against the back of the vehicle seat for rear facing babies. DO NOT however get the toy bars that attach to the car seats handle as the car seat handle should be put DOWN while in the vehicle. The Graco manual doesn't state this but the picture on the side of the seat shows thus, also I learned this at a car seat check.

I'd say get the Barkely unless your DH REALLY hates it then get another and get one of those mats (they have them with mirrors, pictures, black/white/red patterns, etc). HTH.

jilldave
06-12-2001, 09:02 AM
We selected this car seat and have loved it. We only had one choice of seat cover, plaid. Our daughter didn't pay too much attention to it, but she would occasionally turn her head to read the yellow warning label Graco stamped onto the seat cover. It was funny. She either slept or entertained herself with her toys when we travelled. I got some of those plastic links to attach her toys to so she could easily reach them and not toss them on the floor.

Laura
06-23-2001, 05:00 PM
Where did y'all find different patterns?

I really want the Graco Snug Rude, but have only seen it in one horridly ugly plaid pattern. HELP!

Laura
06-23-2001, 05:00 PM
Where did y'all find different patterns?

I really want the Graco Snug Rude, but have only seen it in one horridly ugly plaid pattern. HELP!

triangle
07-03-2001, 12:36 AM
Checkout the Graco website - gracobaby.com

gaby
07-03-2001, 11:20 AM
i really do not find the plaid pattern THAT ugly. my son actually really seemed to like the contrasting colors (blue/white) and would stare at it for quite a while. now that he is almost 5 months old, he plays with a toy instead. i don't think newborn babies can see little bunnies that clearly anyway....