PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe to use a Britax Roundabout for an infant?

babytoluv
06-18-2001, 08:59 AM
I am currently 30 weeks pregnant and shopping for a car seat. We bought a Peg Perego Travel System which has been recalled so we are waiting to hear what is happening with that. In the meantime, we put a Britax Roundabout car seat on our registry. The sales person at Babies-R-Us told us that it can be used for infants up to toddlers. I am being told by my OB that I will probably have an 8 to 9 lb baby. Is it safe to use this car seat for the baby or will the baby be safer in a regular infant car seat and then the convertible car seat when the baby is bigger? I'm new at this and I don't want to make any mistakes, especially when my baby's life is at stake. Any input into this would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Ilana

Geebee
06-18-2001, 09:41 AM
A few things to think about...

Generally, it is safer for an infant to be in an infant car seat. The infant seats fit the infant better than the larger infant/toddler car seats.

Another thing to think about is the convenience of the infant car seat. I really appreciated the ability to just lift the baby out of the car without waking her. It makes it so much easier to run errands if she sleeps, and you always have a place for the infant (in restaurants, shopping carts, etc.).

And finally, if you decide to go with an infant car seat for now, I saw another post make the recommendation to buy the toddler seat when you need it, and not earlier. If you buy it now, but you don't use it until your child is 6 to 12 months old (just an estimate), you might find 2 problems: 1. the car seat doesn't fit in your particular car and/or 2. the car seat model that you purchased may have come out with a new and improved model between the time that you purchased it (before the baby is born) and the time that you actually use it (when the baby is 6 to 12 months old). So if you don't plan on using the toddler seat from birth, you might think about taking it off your registry.

I hope that helps!

alandenisefields
06-18-2001, 09:45 AM
Basically, we agree with all those points. In short, YES the Britax RAseat is safe to use with infants. BUT, we think you should buy and use an infant seat FIRST. Then wait on the convertible seat until later.

Alan & Denise Fields, Authors
BABY BARGAINS

mma800
06-18-2001, 09:51 AM
Hi!
I have a 10 month old- and I'm 28 weeks pg! Congrats to you!

I have the Britax Roundabout- and absolutely love it. We started using it when my daughter was about 6 mos old. She's still in the rear-facing position- and it's been a great seat for us.
I'm not sure whether I would have felt comfortable with her in that seat when she was a newborn. She was sooo tiny- even the infant car seat we had seemed so big! The Britax CAN be used from birth- but I chose to spend the extra $$ on the infant car seat- and was glad I did. She'd sleep so soundly in it- and I didn't have to diturb her when we went in/out of the car. Plus it was great to have a safe place to put her down when we were out. Also helped keep her from getting passed around like a football amongst over-zealous relatives!

What a bummer about the Peg recall! I'm planning to buy a Duette stroller later this summer. I was hoping to get an attatchment bar and be able to snap my century carseat onto it- but no one can tell me if that'll work or not. If not- I was going to buy a Peg carseat- so I could use the whole thing together. Now- I don't know what I'll do!

Good luck!

babytoluv
06-18-2001, 11:22 AM
Thanks for all of the replies. My husband and I decided to keep the convertible seat on our registry because I know the baby will grow out of the infant seat right away. We decided to maybe get our money back for the recalled stroller and get another one, maybe an Evenflo or Graco with the carrier attached and use that one in the car. We don't know if we should get another extra infant seat for my husbands car or just move the one we have from the stroller from car to car. How do all of you handle that?

Thanks!

Ilana

bbezdek
06-18-2001, 12:59 PM
Noticed the posts about the Perego recall - where can I find out more information? We recently purchased the Milano XL and the Infant Car seat as well as the Prima Pappa High Chair (which I believe may have been recalled as well). There is no information on the Perego web-site. Also, any recommendations on another Infant Seat that will work well with the Milano?

Thanks!