PDA

View Full Version : Perego Recall?

bbezdek
06-18-2001, 01:01 PM
Where can I find out more information? We recently purchased the Milano XL and the Infant Car seat as well as the Prima Pappa High Chair (which I believe may have been recalled as well). There is no information on the Perego web-site. Also, any recommendations on another Infant Seat that will work well with the Milano?

Thanks!

alandenisefields
06-18-2001, 02:31 PM
Here is the info we sent out on the recall last week to our newsletter subscribers!

Alan & Denise
authors, BABY BARGAINS
Perego to recall Prima Pappa high chair, infant seat.

A sharp-eyed reader in Ohio noticed that Babies R Us has pulled the Prima
Pappa high chair off its shelves, marking the product with signs that said
"DO NOT SELL." The reader discovered a copy of an email left at the store
that was addressed to all Babies R Us managers warning of the pending recall
of high chairs because of an "entrapment issue." The email also said Perego
will be recalling their infant car seat (the Primo Viaggio) and its
associated travel systems.

We immediately contacted Peg Perego today to find out what was up. Their
customer service department said the high chair recall will focus on chairs
made BEFORE August 26, 1999. There have been no injuries associated with
this problem with the high chair, although Perego says some babies were
"scratched or bruised" by the problem. Unfortunately, Perego would NOT tell
us exactly what was wrong with the high chair, but we assume it has
something to do with the unit's restraint bar. Perego will be sending out a
repair kit to parents who contact their customer service line at (800)
671-1701 for the US and 800-661-5050 in Canada.

An executive with Perego refused to discuss the details of the recall,
because of a rule that bars manufacturers from discussing recalls before the
government issues a press release on the matter. (Although, as always,
manufacturers seem to leak word of this to large customers like Babies R
Us—this heads up gets enables the chain to pull product off the shelves as
the recall happens. Yes, we are frustrated that Perego thinks leaking word
to Babies R Us is OK, while discussing the recall with safety advocates is
forbidden.)

Details on the infant car seat recall are even more sketchy. Again, Perego
refused to divulge details, but did confirm it will affect the car seat AND
their associated travel systems. (There are NO problems with the Perego
stroller; just the infant car seat). Our Perego source again referred to the
problem as "very minor."

We have decided to break this story early as we have recommended the Peg
Perego Prima Pappa high chair in our book for several years. When we do get
the official word from the CPSC and NHTSA, we will send those along.
Meanwhile, if you have questions, contact Perego at their customer service
line (800) 671-1701 for the US and 800-661-5050 in Canada.

We should stress that these are NOT official recalls YET. It is unclear
exactly what the government will do regarding these problems. Expect to hear
more on this next week.

(Special thanks to our Ohio reader for telling us about this situation. If
you ever come across a news tip, please email us at
[email protected]).

1sttimemom
06-19-2001, 10:03 AM
My husband and I were at BabiesRUs this weekend on our endless stroller/infant seat hunt and were told about the recalls by a wonderfully helpful associate. (Who also showed us the problems with the Century strollers they've taken off the shelves.) He explained that the highchairs were being voluntarily recalled by Perego because the leg holes were too large and they are planning to fix the problem and most likely offer a repair kit for older models. He also said Perego pulled the infant car seats because they weren't latching into the strollers as snugly as they should. Perego said they are making a quick adjustment and plan to ship new models out for retail as soon as possible. (I have still seen them for sale on-line.) He stressed Perego's overall safety record and used this as an example of their commitment to safety- by pulling them before there were real problems. Of course this is second-hand information but thought it might be helpful.

bbezdek
06-20-2001, 10:07 PM
Thanks for you help - guess we will wait this one out and see.

kmccabe
06-25-2001, 02:43 PM
The prima pappa is going to be recalled because of the space between the back of the chair and the armrests.
Apparently little ones can get their arms etc.. caught in that space.

It only affects certain models though. The newer models have longer armrests so it isn't an issue with them.

I called Perego when Baby Bargains pre-announced the recall and they sent me the fix right away. The fix is longer armrests.
They were very easy to attach. I just had to snap off the old ones and snap on the new ones. The new armrests look much snazzier too. :)

Give Perego a call..they should fix you right up.

They didn't mention anything about large leg holes..?
I'm not sure why they would have pulled the newer prima pappas?

HTH,
Kelly

babytoluv
06-26-2001, 07:28 AM
My husband and I bought the peg perego high chair and Pilko travel system and ended up returning both of them. We got the Chico high chair instead which is a clone of the Peg Perego and was the same price and got a Graco Stirling Travel system instead of the Pilko Travel system. We didn't want to take any chances with this being our first child. The salesperson at Babies-R-Us told us that only the blue Pilko travel system was being recalled and the black one was not, although Peg Perego was recalling all infant carriers. He said there was exposed metal where the infant seat latches onto the stroller and Peg Perego was sending out repair kits. My husband and I decided to return the whole system as the infant seat didn't rate well anyway. We decided with the money we have already gotten for the baby, we can buy just a plain Peg Perego stroller later without the infant carrier. Hope this helps!!!

babyjessi
06-28-2001, 06:23 PM
I bought the Peg Perego Pliko travel system 2 months ago and called Peg Perego after receiving the update that the infant carrier might be recalled. They said the problem with some of the infant carriers if you turn them upside down (not the base) and put your finger in the first hole/slot under a clip with the clip positioned up there can be an exposed metal piece. My seat did not have this problem, so don't assume if you have the infant carrier there's a problem. Apparently it's more likely in blue than black designs (mine is black). I don't know if this made the carrier less secure in attatching to the stroller or base, or if the metal piece its self exposed a hazard (the only way the baby would come in contact with the metal piece is if you placed the carrier upside down and let them play with it).

I haven't started using the travel system yet as my baby is due in a month. So far we are very happy with how the base sits in the car, although it doesn't have the adjustment indicators of other desgins. We were reassured also by PP's long track record of infant car seats in Europe, even though they've only just introduced them to the US. The carrier also snaps easily and securely into the stroller and the base. For other features we will have to wait for our bundle of joy to test them out!

riostoker
07-08-2001, 01:28 PM
I called Peg Perego about the infant car seat recall, and here is what I was told...

There are 16,000 of these car seats out there, and only 360 of them are affected by the recall. Just because your part number is listed in the recall list does not necessarily mean you are affected.

How to inspect:

Position the seat in front of you as if the baby is facing you. (out of the base)
tilt it up (as if baby looking up in the air)
You'll see two sets of latches. The first set have the red arrows above them.
Looking at the first set of latches, examine the latch to your right (the baby's left).

You should see ONLY the grey lever that snaps on to the frame... no metal. If you see metal, you are part of the recall. If you only see grey, and no metal, then your seat is absolutely fine.

It seemed like a lot of folks on this list panicked when they heard about the recall and changed their minds about buying the Perego system. It sounds like the recall actually affected very few seats, so no need to panic! :) Peg Perego also seems very helpful in getting the situation fixed if you do have a recalled carrier. Fortunately, mine was not one of the ones affected.