PDA

View Full Version : Need 2nd Carseat - Century Bravo LX concerns?

JulesDad
06-21-2001, 10:06 AM
Greetings. We have a Britax RA for our primary car that our daughter spends about 95% of her time in.

I need a CONVERTIBLE carseat for my car and grandma's car (no swapping, gonna buy 2) and wanted to get one smaller than the RA or FPSE that's easier to lug and fit onto airplanes. Daughter is 8 months, 16.5 lbs, and 26.5" long (too long for the infant seat anymore).

I had decided on the Century Bravo LX based on pretty good reviews from parents, the Fields, and Consumer Reports.

This seat was just recalled, and it appears to me that Century has had a spate of recent safety-related recalls. I'm now concerned about getting a Century at all.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

aunt83me02
06-21-2001, 12:48 PM
I haven't heard anything about the Bravo being recalled, where did you get the info? I recently bought a Cosco Touriva which was rated well by Consumer Reports. It is lightweight, rear-facing to 35lbs. and is supposed to install fairly easily in most vehicles(it is also inexpensive-$50). The Cosco Triad is another seat VERY similar to the Touriva. It is a little more expensive($80), it also has plusher fabric, etc.(the Triad was rated better than the Touriva) Hopefully Cosco has gotten their act together since they were fined by the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Another lighterweight seat is the Century Accel. It was also rated well in Consumer Reports. It is around $70. I hope this has helped some.

JulesDad
06-21-2001, 12:59 PM
from http://www.centuryproducts.com/Sections/RecallInformation/RecallDetail.asp?ID=20&Name=Car+Seats+Recalled%2C+June+18%2C+2001

This is the 3rd safety-related recall from Century since October (2 for carseat/s, 1 for stroller/s)...

snip

Car Seat Recall Announced by Century Products, June 18, 2001

In cooperation with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Century Products announces a recall of 6,509 convertible child seats equipped with an A-lok assembly shipped between April 10, and May 10, 2001.

The models are: Encore (44612 GTN and 4662 WSC01); Bravo (44622 LTG, 44630 LTH, 44631 PFN and 44662 WSC); Accel (45100 CHT, 45100 MTE, 45100 STH, 45200 MXM, 45600 JTI, 45600 MTE, 45600 MTO, 45600 MXM, 45600 SAF, 45700 GSD, and 45700 LFT); and SmartMove (44709 MTE and 44709 SVR).

The harness adjustment locking mechanism on the affected restraint system models may allow the harness webbing to slip through the device during a serious motor vehicle collision when the convertible restraint system is in the forward facing mode. The child may not be properly restrained, possibly resulting in serious injury or death.

Consumers with Century car seats manufactured between April 9, 2001 and May 10, 2001 should contact Century at 1 800 575 6097 regarding the arrangements to replace the car seat. Consumers should have the model name, model number and date of manufacture of the car seat when making the call to the company. The information is located on the label adhered to the car seat.

aunt83me02
06-21-2001, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the info on the recall. I check the Consumer Product Safety Commission's website and SafetyBeltSafe U.S.A.'s website frequently and neither mentioned the recall. The seats I mentioned in the earlier post are the only ones I can think of that meet your criteria. It's too bad that both companies that make them have a recall history. I hope you are able to find a seat to meet your criteria.

babytoluv
06-21-2001, 03:50 PM
My husband and I registered for the Century Bravo LX and Smartmove seats and were told by Babies-R-Us that they were recalled. We were so fed up with Century that we decided to go with the Britax Roundabout. I have had four recalls since I registered. Two with the Century car seats, one with a Peg Perego High Chair which we changed to the Chico High Chair and another recall with the Peg Perego Pilko Travel System which we returned and instead got a Graco Stirling Travel System. I know that the Pilko stroller is the best on the line but I would rather not use a recalled product. My husband found out from Peg Perego that the problem was with the infant carrier which did not secure tighly enough to the stroller. Also, Peg Perego said that there was exposed metal in the stroller that could hurt the baby. My husband did not want to mix and match strollers with different brands of car seats nor did he want to use a repair kit. We decided to use the Graco until the baby gets older and then if later on, we get tired of our stroller or having problems with it, we can always get a Perego later and maybe by then their product will be more of the quality that we expect from a $300 stroller.

kicksmom
06-29-2001, 09:50 PM
Before you write a product off because of a recall, you need to check which model and when it was manufactured. The Prima Pappas recalled were manufactured 2 years ago I believe and so were the Century car seats. So that shouldn't affect the ones sold now. Also if you are interested in a travel system but want a Peg, you can buy either the Venezia or Milano and get the snap-on bar that is sold at babycatalog.com. We have a Venezia and instead of spending $50 for a Snap-n-Go, bought the extender bar for $18 and now snap our Century SmartFit Plus 22 on our Peg. It's a build-your-own travel system but it is awesome. Both the stroller and car seat are navy so everything matches. In fact, I didn't even know about the special bar but read it on this message board! (:>) Excellent product that I get asked about all the time when I'm out with my 3 month old daughter.