PDA

View Full Version : Infant Car Seat

Colette
06-24-2001, 02:15 PM
I am trying to decide on an infant seat/stroller for a baby that will be born in October. Would love to purchase a travel system but have a bad back and am concerned about lifting 40 lbs in and out of trunk. Have decided to bite the bullet and purchase a Peg Perego but have not heard great things about their car seats. Has anyone purchased a car seat that fit into the Milano stroller. When I was at Babies R Us the attendant told me that not many infant car seats fit well into the Milano.... And that an infant really is not comfortable in this stroller. Is this true? Any suggestions on which infant seat is the safest, easiest to use and will fit well into this stroller? Thanks.

cillakat
06-29-2001, 09:55 AM
What about picking a nice, lightweight stroller that you *love*, then simply picking a carseat to fit in it?

Why go for the bulk/weight of the Milano, when you could get the Venezia or even the Pliko?

Other light, but nice strollers, the Graco MetroLite is 14 lbs, has an *awesesome* easy fold, is self standing, has cupholders etc....you could fit any of the graco carseats in there (the Snugride DX-5 is great), or you could even place another carseat in there such as the *very* lightweight, easy to hold/carry Fisher Price Stay in View.

The Combi 6600 is nice and light too, but isn't self standing and the fold is a bit more awkward.

I have the Peg Perego Plikomatic and *love* it. The Fisher Price Stay in View sits nicely in it and I personally, would feel very comfy using it even though it doesn't latch on. It sits so deeply and securly that it's not going anywhere...ditto for the Venezia. While the venezia is a bit heavier, it's *so* wonderfully easy to fold...has tons of great features.

I travel alot - my 2 yo's carseat (the Britax Roundabout) also fits on the Pliko, the Venezia, the MetroLite.....

I think if I were buying again, I'd buy the venezia, but I do love my Pliko. Used to have the Aprica Super Zap Prestige which I wasn't crazy about, but even with it's tiny size (size of Combi travel strollers), it fit an infant seat - either the snugride dx-5 or the FP SIV....

:)
katherine in atl
[email protected]

newbabyk
07-12-2001, 01:44 PM
I purchased the Peg Perego Milano with the bar to hold the carseat before my baby was born and I realized afterwards what a big mistake it was. It is also true that most carseats don't go well with Peg Perego. I have a Century Avanta and there is no way it can fit neatly in the Milano. The Milano is VERY heavy (20lbs+) and couple pulling that out of a trunk and constantly taking the baby's carseat in and out of the car, it can put a toll. My husband has a very bad back and realize he couldn't do it anymore and we got the Kolcraft Universal (similar to the Baby Trend Snap n Go). It is light (less than 10lbs) and fit so snuggly in a trunk. It has a huge basket (unlike the unaccessable Milano's), a parent tray, and a one handed folding mechanism which is very convenient. It costs about $40. I got mine at Bergstrom's Baby Store (in Orange County, CA) but I heard that they have it at Baby Depot (Burlington Coat Factory). When you realize how easy it is, and when your baby is getting too big to be comfortable always being in his/her carseat, then purchase the stroller of choice (I would pick the Aprica, or if your heart set on a Peg Perego, a Pliko or Venizia). But I would highly recommend the Kolcraft Universal for a person with a bad back (ask my husband and he would tell you the same). But besides that, the Milano is very comfortable for my baby, if she is not sleeping in her carseat and is in the stroller. It is just a hassle for us to constantly load it in and out of the car and push an ocean liner.

rebwal
07-13-2001, 10:28 AM
I have a suggestion. Why don't you buy the Baby Trend or Kolcraft snap n' go strollers. You can't get much more lightweight than that, and most if not all infant car seats easily fit into them. They're extremely lightweight, the Kolcraft (from experience) has a one handed fold, a large basket and parent tray, and it is extremely manueverable. That way you can buy the infant seat you really want and not have to worry if it fits the stroller. By the time your infant is out of the infant seat he/she should be big enough to fit into any stroller.

I found this solution out the hard way, and regret having spent a lot of money on a 4-in-1 whose stroller I never use. If I had to do it all again, I would have done it this way without blinking an eye!

Good luck with everything!