PDA

View Full Version : LATCH vs center seat

reyrey
06-25-2001, 11:17 AM
We're expecting our first child in Nov and are starting to get confused as we research car seats. What's safer for a baby--a LATCH seat that's next to a door, of a "regular" seat installed in the center of the back seat? I read about the merits of both, but which should we go for?

tobymc
06-25-2001, 02:06 PM
In my technician training, we learned that the center position is the safest one, since it is fathest from potential impacts, unless there is a reason not to use the center position.

It is neat that you have LATCH. It is a great new feature that is going to make a nice difference in ease of installations in the future. But Latch installations are not inherently better. They MAY be better fits. Mostly they will allow for easier installations.

So I'd have to say that if you can get a nice, tight installation in the center, that you feel confident you can install yourself correctly every time, then you should go with the center.

There are currently only a few convertibles that have Latch: the FPSE II, the Cosco Triad, and all the Century convertibles that can be retrofitted with their kit.

If you go with the center, you can also consider the non-latch seats (though you may want to get one with latch, since it can be used with the regular belt system too).

So make sure to try your seats in your car at the store and see if you can find a rear facing convertible that fits well in the center and that you can install and use correctly every time. That should be the safest.

I hope that helps.

Toby, CPS tech