PDA

View Full Version : Century SmartFit Plus: Where are the 5-points?

KCR4
06-26-2001, 06:40 PM
Does anybody know if the Century SmartFit Plus V (5-point) is heavier than the 3-point model? Or are they exactly the same except for the harness?

I just read an earlier posting about this product re: finding a 5-point, and thought I would add my experience to this board .... After reading in Baby Bargains about the Century SmartFit Plus, I set out to buy one with the 5-point harness. (I agree with Baby Bargains that the Avanta is too heavy!) I looked for SmartFit Plus seats at Babies R Us but they only carry 3-point models (product number 4529) for $49.99. I found a SmartFit Plus22 at Baby Depot/Burlington Coat Factory, but it was the LAST one -- the floor model, which I did not want to buy. I called Century several times over the course of several days, asking if they made a SmartFit Plus with a 5-point harness. I was told no. Nor does the Century Web site list such a product (other than the SmartFit Plus22, which must be disappearing?).

I spoke today to the USA Baby store in my area (Dallas suburbs). They said there IS a SmartFit Plus V (product number 4527) and they can order it for me for $79.99, but they don't carry them in the store. I called Century again; the rep first said NO the 4527 is 3-point, then changed her mind and said no, it's a new product (is this correct??) and that she had "almost no information about it, but she didn't know why."

I will have to order the SmartFit Plus V sight-unseen and wait several weeks for shipping (my due date is 6 weeks away). I'm trying to decide if I should do this.

What I can't figure out is why Century reps are so confused about this product, why it's not on their Web site, and why stores are not stocking it when the trend is towards 5-point infant seats??? It's been frustrating, because I'd be happy to buy a Graco SnugRide, but Century is selling an "EZ Latch" at Babies R Us ($25) that allows me to secure Century seats to my lower anchorage LATCH points. Graco does not have a retrofit for its car seats for the LATCH system.

alandenisefields
06-26-2001, 07:53 PM
All good questions. When we spoke with a Century executive about the availability of the SmartFit Plus, he said "they didn't get the orders they wanted from chains like Toys R us." Translation: the seat will be hard to find, whatever the configuration (5 pt is most difficult, as is the Smart Fit Plus 22). Why Century is confused about its own products is a mystery, as is why they can't seem to keep their web site up to date. But that seems to be a problem with MANY baby product makers.

Alan & Denise Fields, Authors
BABY BARGAINS

kicksmom
06-29-2001, 09:42 PM
We have the Century SmartFit Plus 22 with the 5 point harness and I *highly* recommend it. I purchased mine at Babycenter.com (sadly no more store). And yes, I have seen it at Baby Depot--I didn't buy it from there because of their horrific return policy. But if I had, it would've been OK. This is a GREAT car seat and I love the 5-point harness. I feel very safe putting my daughter in it. Plus it gives you 2 extra inches and 2 extra pounds since it goes to 22 pounds and 29 inches (which is needed for my 15 pound, 24 inch 3 month old).

KCR4
06-30-2001, 12:03 PM
An update: The store, USA Baby, that originally told me they could special-order a SmartFit Plus V (4527) now says their Century rep told them they cannot order it, because it is being discontinued.

cliffie
07-05-2001, 02:38 PM
I just got off the phone (July 5) with a Century Products' customer service rep. I told her I wanted to buy the SmartFit Plus 22, which is featured on Century's web site, but had not been able to find it. (It was not on any of the web sites for the major retailers in my area, which is greater Boston, and a local baby specialty store told me they'd never heard of anyone selling it!) At first, the Century rep told me the only U.S. retailers who had ordered it were in Miami and Louisiana! Then, she said that while the SFP-22 was on Century's web site it was not in the company's printed catalog. After she told me the only Century infant car seat/carriers that accommodated a baby up to 22lbs. were the Avanta and Celestia models (which are heavier to carry), I suggested Century might want to correct its web site. The rep replied that she thought the SFP-22 was still on the web site because people need to order parts for it -- but that they'd never be able to find the whole seat!

Does anyone have any other information on the availability of the SFP-22 or any other bright ideas? Thanks.

ua
07-06-2001, 01:55 PM
I have also been looking for a Century SmarftFIT Plus V 22 in the greater Boston area with little luck. I spoke to a Century customer service representative today who told me that the Right Start in Burlington, MA is the only store in MA to carry that model. Someone at that store said it is only available through their catalog or on-line. I tried to order it through their catalog (800-LITTLE1) and they said that they normally sell it only on-line and that it is currently out-of-stock. Their only advice: check back on their webite every week. It sounds like others are having a similar run-around. How frustrating!

kalela
07-08-2001, 04:03 PM
help,
so what is your opinion?, 1)search for the 5 point smartfit, 2) buy the 3 point smartfit or 3)just find a different infant seat all together?
thanks for your feedback

kalela
07-09-2001, 03:48 PM
I found the smartfit plus 22 #4548 at babyland furniture in san jose , ca phone number 408-293-1515
hope this helps