PDA

View Full Version : What is the safest convertible car seat?

triangle
07-03-2001, 11:45 PM
I have seen the Consumer Report rating but have heard that it is impossible to find the Fisher Price Safe Embrace with LATCH or without it. Cosco seems to have mixed reviews and the Britax Advantage isn't even listed. I will need a new car seat within the next couple of months. Is the Britax Advantage the best bet now until more LATCH options are available? ( I hate to have to buy another one within the year but it looks like I may. The only LATCH options I've seen are the F-P which I can't find and the Cosco which seems to have mixed reviews. Do you know of any others?

tobymc
07-05-2001, 10:04 AM
There are several other latch options.

First, Century has released a retrofit kit for almost all of their seats. So you could choose the Century Bravo or Accel, and get the kit. I suggest you skip the Century Smart Move, which fits badly in many cars when rear facing and is very heavy.

I'm assuming that you have a baby who is now in an infant seat, and can stay rear facing for awhile yet. If you need a forward facing only seat, you could get the Britax Expressway, which goes from 20 to 40 pounds, forward facing only, and has the latch attachments.

I will point out, however, that latch is designed to make your carseat easier to install, not inherently safer. Of course, an easier install may mean you are more likely to put it in right, but a properly installed seat without latch is every bit as safe as one with latch. So you may want to go back and look at the whole list of convertibles, not just the ones with latch.

Toby McAdams, CPS tech

cillakat
07-14-2001, 11:03 PM
I have seen a few of them still lurking unnoticed on clearance shelves of local BRU's....

There probably are some if you're really digging deep:)

Otherwise, I'll just ditto everything Toby said;)

katherine in atl

[email protected]

mostlymommy
07-22-2001, 07:55 PM
In general - stay away from Cosco products. They are vastly inferior to anything made by Britax. Keep in mind that the LATCH system (refered to as ISOFIT by Britax) can only be used when the seat is forward-facing which is why Britax has so far only incorporated it into their forward-facing only seats like the "Expressway". The LATCH attachment is at the back of the Britax seat. I'm assuming that this is also the case with the Cosco seat although I haven't seen it. Anyhow, if your child is currently in an infant seat or in a non-LATCH convertible seat still being used in a rear-facing position then you may have some time before you have to make this decision. If you can stay with whatever you are currently using until your child is ready to be forward facing (20 lbs AND at least 12 months old) then I would urge you to go with the Britax Expressway. Also, by waiting you increase the likelihood that there will be a better selection to choose from in LATCH seats. If you need a convertible seat right now - go with anything by Britax. Both the Roundabout and the Advantage are great models even though they are not LATCH compatable.

tobymc
07-23-2001, 08:30 AM
Actually, the latch system CAN be used rear facing on seats so equipped.

At the moment, that would be the Fisher Price Safe Embrace II, the Cosco Triad, and the Century infant seat and convertibles, with the retrofit kit.

It can also be used forward facing on the above convertibles, the Britax Expressway, and on the Century combo seats (harnessed seats that turn into boosters).

As you said, there will be more and more choices in the near future. By September, 2002, all carseats must come with the latch attachments.

Toby

mostlymommy
07-23-2001, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the update. As a self-proclaimed information junkie I live for knowledge. I didn't realize that some LATCH seats could be used rear-facing. I'll have to check one out next time I'm in a store that carries them.

Kecia Healy
Monroe, NY

VickieG
08-03-2001, 11:37 PM
I too am looking into a seat that is not only safe, but comfy and a latch system since our new car is equipted with it. Fischer Price is a good option and is highly rated in the Baby Bargins book. Just to let you know, any car seat that has a latch system also can be installed with a seat belt for those cars that don't have the latch system.

By 9/02 all new vehicles & child restrains must be equipped with the LATCH system. Britax has a forward-facing child restraint with the LATCH called the "Expressway ISOFIT" for about $179. By Fall 2001, Britax will make the "Roundabout" available with LATCH. I got this information from Cartrackers.com under the title "ACTS announces model year 2001 vehicles with LATCH".

I think I am going to go with the Expressway since my youngest is 1 1/2 years old. Good luck with your research.