PDA

View Full Version : Evenflow on My Way or Graco Snug Ride?

acadiaphile
07-10-2001, 12:29 PM
We'd planned on getting the Graco Snug Ride DX5 infant seat, but today my husband's office had a surprise baby shower for him at which he received the Evenflow On My Way Position Right VXL infant seat. So, here's my question: Should we keep the Evenflow or exchange it for the Graco? According to my research, the Graco looks like a better bet, but I'd welcome other's thoughts.

Thanks!

evans dad
07-10-2001, 07:32 PM
We have the Evenflo and like it. The book didn't rate it well, but Consumer Reports did. We use it with a Peg Perego Pliko, with an attachment bar, as a travel system, and it works great.

I'd vote to keep the Evenflo.

Raindrop
07-11-2001, 06:07 AM
We have the Evenflow and I like it. The book did not review it well, but it seems comfortable to my son and I been able to use it in all types of vehicles. I would keep it.

tobymc
07-11-2001, 09:55 AM
The Evenflo may be a fine choice for you. Here are some of the pros and cons.

Your OMW has a 5 point harness (this is good) and the Position Right base (which is more likely to fit well in your car). You have the seat, so you can try it and make sure it fits so tightly that you can't move it side to side at all.

The downsides are that the OMW is a heavy seat compared to most other infant carriers. It also doesn't have a front harness adjuster, so you have to tighten and loosen the straps from the back. Keeping the straps tight every day is important, even when you change your baby's clothes to heavier or looser things.

The Graco SnugRide DX has the 5 point harness, a front harness adjuster, can come with the adjustable base, and is not as heavy.

The Fisher Price SIV comes in a 5 point harness, has a front adjuster, and is very light. It's base is not adjustable, and the seat is no longer being made.

The Century Avanta EX has a 5 point harness, a front adjuster, an adjustable base, a higher weight and height limit (22 pounds and 29") but is heavy. Also, the EX with the front harness adjuster may not be available.

But the OMW may work just fine for you, as long as you know its limitations.

Toby, CPS tech

cillakat
07-14-2001, 10:47 PM
they're about 3-4 mos of age. When babies are rearfacing (RF), the harness slots should be at or below babies shoulders. The OMW has only one set of harness slots that are well above the shoulders of every nb that I've seen in this seat.

The position right base does fit better than the regular model, but can still be problematic in many cars. Honda's, Nissans and some other cars with longer belt stalks are ones that have been difficult and sometimes impossible to fit with this seat. More than one parent has had to return it because of compatibility issues. Mine wouldn't fit in my Nissan Maxima. We couldn't get it it in my best friends infiniti, another friends Nissan pathfinder. Two others that I worked on were an Isuzu Trooper and a Honda Accord. In both situations, the parents chose not to return the seat, but the fit wasn't something I would have been comfortable with . The seat moved about an inch side to side - maybe more. Since there are seats that will fit better, this just isn't acceptable to me.

I have also found that even with adjustable bases, I still need to use something to fully level the base - my choice is a pool noodle. sometimes small, sometimes large, sometimes a small noodle rolled inside a towel of varying size. All depends on how much I need to level the base.

The Graco is a great seat....lighter than the evenflo OMW and a bit narrower. It does have some compatibiltiy issues with some cars, but not as many as the Evenflo. It *does* have a front harness adjustor which is very very important to me.

If I was married to the idea of an Evenflo, I'd look to the Discovery five point. It still doesn't have a front harness adjustor, but does have rear adjustors that are pretty easy to use and the base is more like the century bases - very compatible with many cars.

In terms of ease of use though - and compatibility in cars - I'd go for the Fisher Price Stay in View every time. Fits easily in every car I've installed it in. Easy to level the base. Narrow...light..... the carrying handle is fantastic - gives you more options for carrying and you don't have to mess with putting the handle down every time you put baby in the car - it just flops over to the side. All other infant seats *must* have the handle down while driving (cept the britax HWC)

Also, I find the padding pretty generous on the FPSIV...

And it fits in all of the strollers i've ever tried it in -but they all do:)

katherine in atl

[email protected]