PDA

View Full Version : Convertible Seat, airplanes and old VW

layla
07-17-2001, 12:22 AM
We have a Britax Roundabout which we love. This summer we'll be traveling in my in-laws' car, a 96 VW Passat. Thy have decided they want to purchase their own carseat. We have been told by our VW rep that a Britax can not be installed in that model, certainly not with a tether, which is a major safety feature of the Roundabout.

We're also concerned about getting the seat to fit in an airplane seat. We were told by American Airlines that a Roundabout is too big, so we're considering either a Fisher-Price Safe Embrace or one of the Century models. I don't really trust Century; too many recalls recently. Which convertible model would you recommend that will fit well in a 96 Passat and also in an airline seat?

mom@home
07-17-2001, 09:39 AM
While I can understand how leary you might be about purchasing a Century seat because of the recent recall, the recall only affected a small number of seats manufactured over about a month's time. Even Britax had a recall in '99 affecting a small number of seats manufactured during a small period time. So, sadly, recalls are a fact of life. Century seats in Consumer Reports were recently rated quite highly, particularly the Century 1000 STE. I have this seat, which is narrow, lightweight, and easy to install. I have successfully used this seat on airplanes and several cars, including a Toyota Corolla, a Ford Explorer, Mazda 626, Mazda Tribute, and an Isuzu Rodeo. I also have a Roundabout that I use everyday but I think for a second seat, the 1000 STE is an excellent choice. Good luck!

alandenisefields
07-17-2001, 10:44 AM
Ditto for the Century 1000 STE and airplanes---we used this on several trips and it fit well! And for $50, you can't go wrong.

Alan & Denise Fields, Authors
BABY BARGAINS

tobymc
07-17-2001, 02:56 PM
Did the VW rep explain why the Roundabout can't be used in the '96 VW Passat, and especially, why the tether can't be used?

There are several entries in my database (www.carseatdata.org) showing that this combination should do well. There is an entry from a tech about the RA forward facing, in a '96, in the center position, and using the pre-installed tether. There are two other entries from other years of Passats showing that the RA fit well rear facing, and had a place to tether to. I have not heard of any reason why this seat should not fit in this car, so if there is a good reason, I'd like to know.

Also, if you would still like to choose a different carseat for this car, I would like to suggest a different seat than the Century 1000. Rear facing, this seat only goes to 22 pounds, and has a really inconvenient belt path. Forward facing, the back height is a full 2 inches lower than some comparable convertible seats.

Personally, I am fond of the Cosco Touriva . It is also sold with a nicer pad but exactly the same shell as the Cosco Eddie Bauer convertible, and with Latch as the Cosco Triad. The Touriva usually goes for about $45 at Kmart. It comes in the 5 point model, rear faces to 35 pounds, and has a back height of 23 inches (compared to 21 for the Century 1000). It is narrow, about 16.3 inches compared to the 18" of the Britax Roundabout and the Fisher Price Safe Embrace. It is also light. I use one in our "other" car and for travel, since it fits well on planes, and fits well in a crowded car.

The downside of the Touriva is that it is harder to use than the RA, for sure. I have both. The harness adjuster is harder to use (I usually tighen it a little too much, then release slack to fit the child). The straps are twisty. There are no extras like eps foam and built in locking clips. The tether adjuster is very strong, but hard to use.

Another good choice for a backup seat is the Century Accel. It is also light and narrow, though not quite as much as the Touriva. It has a nicer pad. It has a nicer adjuster on the tether. Otherwise, it is similar. I'm not worried about the recently recalls.

I find that cheap seats are good for me for travel, because I have the time to spend making sure the seat is used correctly every time. It does take more time, at least for me. And more attention. But if you want a seat that tends to be more "fail-safe" and easier to use correctly every time, then perhaps you want to consider another RA.

The FPSE is not going to be much better for the plane than the RA. It is just as wide and heavy.

Toby, CPS tech

cillakat
07-19-2001, 07:52 AM
She really wanted the baby outboard (bad back, too hard to get baby in and out of center) so I have installed the seat RF initially, and now FF in the outboard (behind driver) position. It fits beautifully.

Hers doesn't have tether anchors (built in ones), so I know her car is a few years old...I can ask her but I'm pretty sure it's a '96 or '97. She has since installed a tether anchor for the FF seat.

Is your baby FF or RF? If RF, you *can* use it with the tether, using the tether connector strap attached to the frame of the front seat where the seat *bolts to the floor*. If FF, you won't be able to use the tether b/c there won't be a tether bolt, but having one installed is very easy. The dealer here did it for my neighbor during some other routine service - for *free* -she just had to pay for the part which was like $15 or something.

About the tether thing though...any seat that you're using "should" be tethered - not just the RA. But the RA fit so sososo well in her car that the difference was no difference between how the seat 'felt' when tethered v. untethered. Though in a crash, there certainly *would* be a difference - as there would be with ALL seats, not just the RA.

Since you have to have the seat with you anyway on the plane and therefore have to bring it, it seems unnecessary for your parents to buy an additional seat to have there. The VW dealership was wrong...the RA does fit, can be used and if you and your parents want, a tether bolt can be installed (FF child). If the child is RF, no need to get that done yet, just tether it how you tether at home...

About the flight....the RA travels *wonderfully*. Just plop it on your stroller - fits beautifully on most strollers I've tried it on... in my Pliko, the RA sits right on it FF, or if the baby is asleep, I can recline the backrest of the pliko, then place the RA facing me, deeply reclined in the seat of the pliko. Shocking that it fits, but it does. It also fit on my teeny tiny, itsty bitsy Aprica which I got rid of. Didn't like it.

And about American Airlines....all I have to say is "huh" While I usually fly Delta, I have flown American a bunch b/c my mom lives in Dallas (AA hub). The RA always fits....34 flights and counting. It's a tight fit sometimes because on many airlines the seat in front of the you is *so* darn close, but this'll be an issue regardless of which seat you use. The Accel or the Touriva or the FPSE will probably give you an inch more room front to back...

katherine in atl

[email protected]