PDA

View Full Version : How reliable is Century?

layla
07-17-2001, 09:27 PM
I recently posted a message about needing a convertible seat that will fit in an airplane. I received several messages suggesting various Century models. I am *extremely* leery of Century, given their recall history. The 3rd edition of Baby Bargains states that "Century leads the recall race, with a whopping 95 product recalls in the past 9 years". That's not even counting the 3 recalls since this October. I am also disgusted by the *way* Century handled the 590 back in 1995, disputing the Consumer Reports findings and refusing to recall an unsafe seat.

I know all companies have recalls, but this is ridiculous. While I'm tempted to get a Century Accel as our flight infant seat, I just don't trust this company. You would think that a firm which makes so many car seat varieties would not still be having recalls every year.

I'd like to hear from Century owners: are you satisfied? Have any of you experienced a crash while using a Century? What about customer service: how good were they about accepting returns, offering replacement parts, etc.?

Geebee
07-18-2001, 07:48 PM
LAST EDITED ON Jul-18-01 AT 06:55PM (Mountain)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-18-01 AT 06:52 PM (Mountain)

I have a Century Travel System and a Century Accel carseat (now that my child has outgrown the carrier). I used the infant carrier/carseat for around 9 months and the Accel for about 8 months. I have been completely satisfied with both products. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Century again if the product was reviewed as good quality. I haven't had a car accident with either seat.

The only experience that I have had with the company was the recent stroller recall. I was impressed with the ease of the toll free number, etc. that they had set up. I was prepared to be on hold, but it was very quick and easy. Although I purchased a second stroller because of the weight and bulkiness of the travel system stroller, I never had a problem with the Century travel system stroller.

I understand your hesitation, but with so many Century products, recalls are bound to happen. For example, I don't think that Peg Perego has nearly as many baby products on the US market. And I do agree that the manner in which the recalls are handled is important. (Any company that doesn't look into what Consumer Reports says is asking for trouble.) But maybe they learned from their mistakes.

I just appreciate Century's products. They are lower end, but they still are good quality. Their carseats still receive great reviews, and they don't cost an arm and a leg.

(Heck, these days, with all of the recalls, you just pick something and hope it doesn't get recalled. Are baby products recalled more than any other category or what?)

I hope that helps.

cillakat
07-19-2001, 07:35 AM
they also probably have 95% of the baby products market....LOL - okay, not that much - but I'd rather see the stat listed as what percentage of their products on the market have had recalls, instead of the total number of recalls that happened to be their products. I'm sure they sell more carseats and other baby equipment than anyone else - so it stands to reason that they'd have more recalls.

Anyhoo, the Accel is a nice seat imo - pretty good compatibility, light, narrow etc etc. Though I'd probably get a Cosco Touriva for traveling (gasp) if I were purchasing an additional seat. Ime, it's compatibility is slightly better than the Accel (ie might fit better in a few more cars), also very light, very narrow etc etc.

But I'm not getting another seat.....we have a britax RA and a Maxi-Cosi Priori. The RA has been on 34 of *37* flights with me. It fits on every single plane (and I've probably been on all of them LOL. And every single car that I've tried to install it in. I like that I *know* it's always going to fit....and that if there's an unusual issue like lightweight locking latchplates, I don't have to mess with locking clips....or that if it's an older car...I don't have to mess with locking clips.

Some are concerned about the size of travling with the RA. It's no different ime, than traveling with one of the smaller seats. Actually, I haven't found it any more difficult to travel with the RA over her infant seat. Seriously. I just place the RA right on the stroller (now a Pliko, used to be a little Aprica - tiny one)...then she sits in the carseat or the diaper bag/carry on does and she goes in the sling.

Plane side, I just check the stroller and the carseat goes on with me. If for some reason, I had to check the carseat, I would check it planeside *always* and never through regular baggage claim. Too many opportunities for damage. Though I always get her a ticket...I think it's too dangerous for babies to travel on laps.

Anyhoo, that's a different issue:)

take care,
katherine in atl