PDA

View Full Version : FP Safe Embrace 2 or Britax Advantage?

triangle
07-21-2001, 12:10 AM
I bought the Fisher Price Safe Embrace 2 through the internet but I have not opened the box yet. I was in Babies R Us tonight and saw the seat and it felt that there is not much padding in it and the cloth fabric didn't seem that nice. I know it had the top rating by Consumer Reports (which is why I ordered it sight unseen) but now I'm thinking I want to send it back and get the Britax roundabout or advantage. What should I do? I'd appreciate your opinions! Thank you!

cillakat
07-21-2001, 10:28 AM
The FPSE II has LATCH anchors, which is great if you have a LATCH vehicle or will be purchasing one soon...but if you don't or you're not, then it's kind of a waste of $50. You might want to consider finding a regular FPSE without the LATCH anchors...they're about $100 instead of $150.

Neither the RA or the Adv have LATCH anchors....the only difference between the RA and the Adv are the way the harness adjustement works. The RA has a more traditional harness arangement - ie 3 slot heights at 10", 12.5" and 15" (approximately). Higher top slots than the FPSE, which can be important over the long run if your child is taller/longer for their height.

The Adv has tracks along which the harness height is adjusted - by a dial on the back of the seat. Allowing you to always have the harness adjusted *just* right: always slightly *below* the shoulders when RF, always slightly *above* the shoulders when FF. This is a nice feature...I really love it. Wish I had it right now b/c the my 2 yo dd is in the mid slots on the RA, but will need to go up very soon - I carefully check every day...it's >that< close. But when she goes up to the top slots, the straps will be 2.5" above her shoulders...not unsafe or anything, just not as comfy and snug....and more room for her to escape from (though I think we're past that).

Otoh, I don't at all like the fabric on the Adv, though many *love* it. It's one of the blue very soft, and imo, very hot velours....can't remember if it's marina or sapphire. Anyway...too hot for Atlanta, but very very soft. B/c of differences in the harness adustor feature, the covers for the Roundabout will not fit the Advantage - tried that already:)

About the consumer report ratings...I personally wouldn't give them a second thought..here's why: http://boards2.parentsplace.com/messages/get/ppcarseats257/26.html

there have been many other, very techinical, very detailed discussions on the carseat board wrt the whole CR testing thing....I think they're doing a consumers a huge disservice...it's very misleading to make ppl think that it's as simple as running one set of crash tests on an old, outdated sled...and only in FF crashes....Do more research though to gather all of the info.

If you like the Britax and want the Britax and can afford the Britax...get it. You'll never be sorry that you did.

;)
katherine in atl