PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Fisher Price Safe Embrace II and/or Stay In View?

rlmcabee
07-27-2001, 05:39 PM
I just purchased the Safe Embrace II online, but, will not be needing it for awhile (baby due in Oct.). We already purchased a FP Stay In View and needed an additional seat for second car with LATCH system. The SE II seems like a great choice, but, I am a little concerned about the reliability of the the company. I went ahead and purchased the SE II because this seat is very hard to find and availability will only get worse as FP stops manufacturing car seats.

Please send comments on the Safe Embrace II. Is the LATCH system easy to use? Comments on the Stay In View would be welcome, too. Feel free to recommend other brands (I still have time to return both seats)! Thanks a bunch.

cfhindman
07-29-2001, 07:18 PM
Where did you find these seats online??? I've been looking for a while.

Thanks,
Christy

tobymc
07-30-2001, 03:07 PM
Both Fisher Price seats are very nice. The Stay in View is light and easy to carry, but has the 5 point harness (on some models) and has a front harness adjuster.

I also like the FPSE II. It has the eps foam, built in locking clips, no-twist straps, and a steel frame. However, it has a very thin pad for the child, and the top harness slots are lower than many other convertibles. You also won't need it for awhile.

By September, 2002, all carseats must come with the latch attachments. So if your baby is due in September, by the time you need a convertible there will be a lot more choices than there are today.

One good choice for you may be the new Evenflo convertible seat. It has a lot of the features of the FPSE. I don't know if it will have latch, but I think there is a good chance it will.

So I would say that you can stick with the FPSE II, or you can return it and hope for something as good or better to walk along later. Not very much help, am I?

I would stick with the SIV. It is a good choice, and you need it pretty soon.

Toby, CPS tech

dhathcock
08-02-2001, 11:11 AM
I have the safe embrace car seat and have just started using it with my 6 month old. It works great so far. Note this is not the SEII. The only differene I believe is the new latch system for newer cars. The SE installed well both in my Saturn and my husbands Yukon. It was pretty simple to install and because you can adjust the straps easily each time you put the baby in the seat, it's a snap to take him in and out of the seat. The only problem we had was the seat cover did not fit around the sides that well. But after some use seems to fit a little better. Hope this helps you.

rlmcabee
08-15-2001, 11:16 AM
I just found out that the Safe Embrace II that I ordered online from Baby Super Center almost 3 weeks ago will not be shipped. I called them this morning to check on my order and the customer service rep said they will not be getting any in. Anyoune know where else to find this car seat?

Minnie Mouse
08-15-2001, 02:11 PM
We have the Stay In View and have been using it with our 3week old. We all love it. Dad carries her around the stores and Beth sleeps almost 90% of the time when she is in it.

I can't tell you how many positive comments we have gotten about it. Many people actually think that the strap is an aftermarket product and want to know where to get one!

I highly recommend this seat.

Just a note...It doesn't fit well into the tops of shopping carts, and we found it doesn't work with the bar attachment for our Peg Perego Milano....although it fits well enough in the stroller itself and we use the straps that came with the bar attachment and strap the car seat into the stroller.

Christine

luvrose
08-20-2001, 05:15 PM
We have the FP SEII and love it. We chose it because our Ford Focus has the LATCH system. It is really easy to install, and the steel frame makes it very sturdy. The only comment I would have is that we felt the pad was a bit skimpy, so we added one of the OshKosh seat pads on top of it to make it a little more comfy (and easier to clean!).

tobymc
08-21-2001, 10:18 AM
I would agree that the FPSE and FPSE II pads are kind of thin and skimpy, especially the newer cottony fabric. The older blue plush seemed a bit thicker, but I think that was just the fabric difference.

That is one of the two things I don't like about the FPSE. The other is that the top harness slots are quite a bit lower (at 14.0") than some of the other convertibles, like the Cosco Touriva (14.5"?) and the Britax Roundabout (15.5"?). I can see that my son, right at almost 40 pounds and almost 3 1/2, has reached the top slots on the Touriva, but still has room in the RA. He has definitely outgrown the FPSE, by height.

I do like the price, the steel frame, the built in locking clips, the no-twist straps, and the color coded belt paths.

However, my big point is that it is not safe to add padding UNDER your child's body. That seat was tested with that skimpy pad, that that is how it passed the crash tests. When you add another pad under you child's head, back, or butt, you are introducing additional slack into the harness. Try it. Tighten up your child's harness like usual. Then take your child out, and remove the pad. Put your child back in. You can see how much extra slack there would be in a crash, when your child's body and the crash forces would compress the padding.

It is true that other seats have more padding. However, they were able to pass the crash tests WITH that padding. We don't know that about the FP seat, unless FP directs that you can use another pad on their seat. Which they are unlikely to do unless they have crash tested it that way.

So I strongly recommend removing the extra padding. Sorry to be the bearing of bad tidings!

Toby, CPS tech

cadoucet
08-29-2001, 03:04 PM
I just ordered the Fisher Price Stay In View this morning from Discount Mart at www.dmart200.com. I spent quite a bit of time looking, as I guess Fisher Price is no longer making car seats. They said they had a couple left in stock, so check it out.

Hope the info isn't too late!
Cathy

helpwithfp
08-30-2001, 03:53 PM
I just purchased one in Sacramento California. They had 5 left as of yesterday, you may trying to call the store, as they do have a catalog. The name of the store is Goores. 1-800570-8077. They are very nice and knowledgeable. Good Luck

cchwhere
09-01-2001, 10:18 PM
I registered for the FP Stay in View on babyuniverse.com about four weeks ago and was shocked to check back yesterday and find that it had been completely removed from my registry and apparently from the site altogether, with nary a notification or warning, not even a "no longer available" message. I've sent them an e-mail complaining about it...

When I saw your posting about Discount Mart, I went there immediately and placed the order. I'm not waiting for someone to give me this if availability is such a problem, particularly online! I'll write in again if and when it arrives...

cchwhere
09-12-2001, 01:18 PM
Well, the FP Stay in View arrived this morning from Discount Mart, dmart2000.com....it took a week, as it was shipped UPS Ground, but it was worth the wait! Looks like this company is legit, so if you're looking for the SIV there IS a place to find it online!!!!!