PDA

View Full Version : Century Accel question

alexsmom
07-28-2001, 10:03 PM
Can the Century Accel be used forward facing without a tether? My husband and I are considering purchasing this seat, but our car doesn't have the tether. The Consumer Reports test has a "-" in the toddler no tether rating, which is what made me wonder if it can't be used that way.

-Lisa

mom@home
07-30-2001, 07:26 AM
This seat can be used without a tether. However, a carseat's performance does improve with the use of the tether. I couldn't believe the difference the tether strap made in how securely the carseat fit in the car. Our '98 Ford Explorer did not come with a anchor bolt for a tether strap so we took it to our local Ford dealer and they installed the bolt for free. Check the owner's manual of your car and you may be able to find out if your car dealer will do the same or call them up. It really does make a difference!

Geebee
07-30-2001, 12:17 PM
LAST EDITED ON Jul-30-01 AT 11:18AM (Mountain)[p]I also have the Accel, and it can be used without the tether forward facing. I've used it in other cars with just the seatbelt and no tether (forward facing).

Like the above post, I also had the dealer install the tether anchor for about $40. I urge you to call your dealer and check it out.

I would guess that just about any toddler carseat will have a better crash test rating if you use a tether strap.

alexsmom
07-30-2001, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the info! My husband checked the owners manual on both of our cars (95 Saturn SL1 & 97 Honda Accord), and it has info on getting a tether installed. My mommy brain didn't even think of that! Alex is only 4mos, so we've got a while to get that done.

We did end up getting the Accel - we bought it for my husband's car instead of getting a second base for the infant seat.

-Lisa

tobymc
07-30-2001, 12:29 PM
Here is the technical answer.

All carseats must pass the certain standards in crash testing. This testing measures a number of things. One is head excursion, or how far foward the dummy's head travels during the crash event.

All the forward facing, harnessed seats must meet the 32" head excursion limit (measured from a point behind the child's head) using only a lap belt. No shoulder belt or tether. The Century Accel appears to meet this (manufactures make the seats to meet the standard - later they are tested off the shelf by nhtsa to see if they really do pass).

In addition, all forward facing harnessed seats must pass the more restrictive 28.3" head excursion limit that is used elsewhere in the world. However, they may use a tether to meet this standard. All but one forward facing harnessed seats (the exception being the Fisher Price Futura) need the tether in order to meet this limit. So since it is needed to meet the limit, it must be included with the seat.

So when you use this seat (or any other like it) without the tether, you are assured of getting a certain level of protection. But you also know that you can get significanly more protection by using the tether strap, hooked to a properly installed tether anchor.

In the long run, you want to use the tether. But in the short run, while you are finding the dealer and having them order the parts, and getting your car in to them, you know that your seat is giving good protection.

Toby, CPS tech