PDA

View Full Version : Infant Car Seat for 2000 Chevy Cavalier Coupe

1sttimemom
07-31-2001, 11:15 AM
My husband and I received an Evenflo Adjust Right infant car seat as a gift and just installed it in the backseat of our Cavalier. My concern is that it seems loose/movable despite the seat belt being tight (lap belt only in middle of back seat). Maybe this is normal...I plan to get it inspected this weekend (our baby is due 8/23). Does anyone have a 2000 2-dr Cavalier with an infant seat that fits well? I have to keep the handle up on the seat because of the front seats and I know this is not the safest installation. Unfortunately, I called the dealership, GM and NHTSA and they do not make recommendations.

tobymc
07-31-2001, 02:44 PM
You can certainly check out my database, www.carseatdata.org, and see what was reported there. I looked, and there were some entries for the Cavalier and infant seats, but none for the 2000 Cavalier Coupe, 2 dr, exactly. There is one entry for the Evenflo On My Way (not Position Right) in a '96 2 dr, and it fits well (no position specified - sorry - my standards are higher now than when I started this database).

Otherwise, the Graco SnugRide fit well, as did the Evenflo Discovery. I often recommend the SnugRide because it is lighter than the OMW, it has a front harness adjuster (so you can keep the harness snug all the time), and comes with a 5 point harness.

But the seat you have may be just fine, assuming that you can get a nice snug fit. The techs you see this weekend may be able to get it in, and then to teach you how to do it. With a lap only belt, you often have to flip over the latchplate (the part with the tongue) to keep it in its locked position. Sometimes you may decide to twist the buckle stalk to make it shorter to get a better installation. Sometimes you need a pool noodle or rolled towel instead of the Position Right base adjuster.

The problem you have with the infant seat hitting the front seats will probably be similar with any infant seat. It will probably be worse with the convertible rear facing when your child outgrows the infant seat. Try putting the handle all the way down, way behind the seat. You don't want to leave it up. You may have to put the infant seat behind the passenger seat, with that seat pushed all the way forward. But try to fit it in the center spot first - it is safest.

Good luck, and if you still have questions after you see the techs this weekend, do come back and ask and ask until things make sense.

Toby, CPS tech
[email protected]
www.carseatdata.org

reagansmommy
08-04-2001, 12:31 PM
I, too have a small car, a Mazda Protege. I initially purchased the Evenflo OMW carseat and wound up taking it back to Babies R' Us because it would not fit the with handle put down. I thought keeping the handle up was acceptable until I met a police officer that told me leaving it up could be dangerous for the baby. Apparently if the handle or sunshade canopies are up during a crash and the seat bangs into the backseat as it is supposed to, the handle or sunshade can break and crash in on the baby. This is very dangerous or even deadly.

We wound up with the Graco SnugRide because it allows us to put the handle down in the center position of the car. It is also WAY lighter than the Evenflo. I was at first disappointed because I bought the whole travel system. I am now happier because I have a good car seat (my baby is about to outgrow it at 4 months old) and a stroller I really like (the Combi 6600). The stroller is much lighter than the travel systems and that is important to me because I will use it longer.

Just wanted to let you know that the handle stuff is really important. Also, most places are really good to let you exchange the car seats and even will let you take them to your car and try them out. Which is exactly what we had to do to make ours work.

Good Luck!
Michelle