PDA

View Full Version : Sleepy Wings

elaine
07-31-2001, 05:14 PM
Any thoughts on Sleepy Wings, which attach to the carseat harness to help prop up baby's sleeping head? They seem like a good idea, but on the other hand, my baby always seems to get her head lolling FORWARD, which they wouldn't help much with (right?), and they are a little expensive. Grandma is sure we should have them for baby's poor little neck!

E&E
07-31-2001, 09:34 PM
That is all that helped w/ my baby. The little "neck wrings" did not work at all.

cillakat
08-01-2001, 08:58 AM
So far, I have yet to see one that doesn't change the fit of the harness or hold the harness away from the proper position.

If your child's head is lolling forward, it's important to reinstall the carseat, using a tightly rolled towel, a pool noodle (or two) or a noodle rolled inside of a towel to "level" the base of the carseat.

Once the base of the carseat is "level" - ie paralell to the floor of the vehicle/parallel to the ground, the back of the carseat will be reclined to 45 degrees which is the safest max recline and will insure that baby's head doesn't loll forward. It's important to adress this right away. There are documented cases of infant death occuring when the head lolled forward, cutting off the baby's airway.

Once you've adressed the lolling forward issue, you can use one of several products to keep her head from tipping to far to the side - rolled receiving blankets placed on either side of baby's head will keep it from looking uncomfortable....ditto for some of the little neck rings that are placed *in front* of the baby's neck (ie baby boppy and similar products).

It's generally not considered acceptable to add the kind of head support that fits between the baby and the carseat and has the ring of batting that makes a halo around baby's head. Reason being this: because of the extra padding behind baby's head, it's more likely to make her head tip forward even if the seat is installed at the proper recline - and equally or more important, the additional padding behind baby may compress during the moment of a crash, leaving the harness much looser than you thought is was - leaving the baby vulnerable and unprotected by the harness (ie partially or fully ejected from seat...too much movement in the carseat allowing her to be slammed agianst the seat etc)

Katherine in atl

NanB
08-27-2001, 08:32 AM
This might be coming a little late here, but please do not waste your money on the Sleepy Wings. If you are still concerned with the head lolling forward, I found that the smallest Boppy Neck rest (that looks like a crescent moon) works great when the opening is put at the back of the neck. It is very soft, does not interfere with any car seat straps, and can be removed easily without waking up the baby.