PDA

View Full Version : Sunshade visors- Looking for something subtle

walda
08-07-2001, 01:48 PM
Hi-
I am looking for a sunshade visor for our car now that ds has outgrown his canopied infant seat. We are looking for anything subtle. All I have seen out there is "billboard" shades for the first years company, and Pooh shades that make my dh wince. We found a plain black rear window sunshade made by the first years. We are looking for visors for the back seat windows now. Any help would be appreciated!!!

:)

cabote
08-07-2001, 04:27 PM
I have the rear shade by First Years as well. It is great because it is hardly visible from the outside. I bought two Fisher Price shades for the rear door windows. There are cute pictures of butterflies and bugs on the inside. But, the outside is white. I wish it was black but at least it is plain. You could call First Years and see if they make something similar to the back shade.

luvrose
08-09-2001, 05:27 PM
We recently found something at Babies R Us that we hadn't seen before -- sheets of plastic film that adhere to the window. There are two to a box, you can trim them to fit, and they are sort of a smoky color. Almost like having dark tinted windows. At least two manufacturers make them -- one brand a little larger than the other.

tobymc
08-10-2001, 08:49 AM
As a child passenger safety technician, I'm not too wild about sun shades. Most have a hard bar that the shade hangs from. It is attached by little suction cups. There is no way that those little suction cups will hold that in a crash. It will go flying, right near the child.

I don't have the same problem with the pieces of stick on plastic. They are still something that could become a projectile, but it is less likely, and they are not as hard. I think there may be concerns from law enforcement about them. I think it is possible that it is illegal to cover your windows like that. But I'm not law enforcement, and I don't know where you live, so I'm not speaking on that.

But between the two kinds, I would definitely choose the soft plastic that adheres to the window.

Toby, CPS tech

walda
08-10-2001, 09:57 AM
I never thought of that!
Do you think a canopy that attaches to the carseat (its a Britax RA) would be safer? Combi makes a model that is sold on Baby Catalog. I doubt it is crash tested, though. I would love to find something safe and legal that blocks the sun, because ds starts fussing everytime the sun is in his eyes. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Alda

melisaparker
08-13-2001, 06:14 PM
I recently went to our fire department to have a car seat installed and they told me to remove our roller sun shades immediately. They informed me that these become flying projectiles in a crash. I was told to purchase the static cling sun shades. Only bummer is that they are constantly coming off of the windows.

1sttimemom
08-14-2001, 09:01 AM
I've been looking for a rear sunshade that will stick on and have yet to fins one despite checking with local baby stores, BRU, and on-line. The one I found that seems the best so far is not a roller shade but does have suction cups that are sewn on and looks to be a greyish color. It's part of a set from www.onestepahead.com that also includes two side shades. The price isn't bad at $15 but if I could find the adhesive shades I'd prefer them. Any recommendations? (Our baby is due to arrive in about a week!)