PDA

View Full Version : Evenflo car seat 1998 model

Masha
08-11-2001, 09:05 AM
My mother-in-law accepted a used car seat for me (without asking me if it was what I wanted) & I would like to ask you all if anyone has any advice or experience with this particular seat.

The model number is 2071A3P2
The manufacture date is 26MAR98

I called Evenflo to get instructions since this seat is not even listed on their website anymore. I am expecting my first & have never, ever used a baby seat before. I had been investigating the Graco travel systems & almost purchased one but now that I have this carseat, I now need to redecide on a stroller.

**sigh** This is so complicated.

Thanks for any help.

Masha
Abigail edd 10/05/01

angusmom
08-11-2001, 10:57 AM
LAST EDITED ON Aug-11-01 AT 09:58AM (Mountain)[p]The seat is probably fine unless you know that it has been in an accident or has any flaws in its structure. I'd check the CPSC web site to make sure it hasn't been recalled (probably http://www.cpsc.gov but I am not positive). I hope Evenflo was able to help on the phone and send you instructions. Good luck!

tobymc
08-11-2001, 10:05 PM
It sounds like your MIL might have gotten the seat from a friend or friend of a friend. Try to track down the original owner, and make SURE the seat was never in a crash.

Otherwise, you can check on the other used seat things: make sure it has all its labels, get the instructions, check for recalls, register the seat with the manufacturer. You can register it on Evenflo's web site. I can't remember if they have a special place or not, but you can just e-mail them.

Also, make sure the seat fits well in your car before your baby is born. The Evenflo On My Way (which is my guess about your seat) can be difficult to install, especially if you have the old style non-adjustable base. You will probably need some sections of pool noodle, or a rolled towel for proper angle.

Generally, the down sides of the OMW are that it is heavy, tends to have the 3 pt harness, has a rear adjuster, and has a non-adjustable base. It also only has one set of harness slots, which is sometimes too tall for a newborn.

On the flip side, if it fits well, and your baby fits well in it, it is a perfectly safe seat.

I'm not much help on strollers, but other folks here are.

Good luck.

Toby, CPS tech

mom@home
08-12-2001, 06:02 PM
I remember that there was a recall on the On My Way carseat in March of 1998 so make absolute certain that this seat was not part of the recall. I would strongly recommend investing the $60 or so on a new carseat so you have the peace of mind knowing that your baby is safe. Good luck!